Ohio County, West Virginia Genealogy
- This article is about a northern county of West Virginia. For other uses, see Ohio (disambiguation).
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Ohio County Clerk's Office
1500 Chapline St # 504,
Wheeling, WV 26003-3553
Phone: (304) 234-3656
- County Clerk has birth & Death 1853
- Marriage from 1793
- Probate from 1777
- Land from 1778
- Clerk Circuit Court has div and court records from 1884
Ohio County was part of Yohogania County, West Virginia before most of that county went to Pennsylvania in 1776.
See an interactive map of Ohio County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Find a Grave for Ohio County, West Virginia
For tips on accessing Ohio County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
- [Craft] Craft, Kenneth Fischer. "The Craft Family in America," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):43-45; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):36-39. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
==== Map of 1850 Virginia and West Virginia
Regiments. Service men in Ohio County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Ohio County supplied soldiers for the:
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Ohio County on page 135.]
Civil War, 1861-1865
Civil War service men from Ohio County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Ohio County.
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. FHL. [Includes a section on Wheeling silversmiths.]
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Ohio County is included in Vol. 2.]
-  Indexed images of the 1790 Personal Property Tax List of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Images of the 1802 Personal Property Tax Lists of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available to browse online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL Book 975 E4w v. 6. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Ohio County is included in Vol. 6.]
- West Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia Births, digital images available
- West Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia Deaths, 1853-1970
- West Virginia Deaths, digital images available
- West Virginia Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virgina Marriages, digital images available
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- E.M. Sanchez-Saavedra, A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations in the American Revolution, 1774-1787 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1978), 69. FHL Book 975.5 M2s.