Ohio Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
For a brief discussion of the many minorities who immigrated to Ohio, see the Ohio Emigration and Immigration page.
African Americans make up a rich part of Ohio's History. The Ohio Constitution of 1803, outlawed slavery, this was in accordance to the Northwest Ordinance of 1787. Run away slaves would hide among the friendly Native American tribes, many in a village of Wyandot Indians in the Upper Sandusky.
Records can be found at:
- Special Enumeration of Blacks Immigrating to Ohio, 1861-1863 Contains indexes by immigrants' names, previous residences, counties in which the lived, and questionable names. It also includes original returns by county.
- Ohio African American Genealogy has sources to assist you in your search for your ancestors.
- African American Cemeteries online
- An Act to Regulate Black and Mulatto persons
See Indians of Ohio.
- Jewish cemetery database cites 85,000 graves in 14 Cleveland area cemeteries.
The Ohio Historical Society, the Western Reserve Historical Society, and many university libraries maintain collections of records for ethnic, racial, and religious groups in Ohio. See Ohio Archives and Libraries for more information.
Fabela Lozano Solis Villanueva
7747 Wildwood Road
Findlay, OH 45840-9538
Telephone: (419) 424-1199
Afro-American Genealogical Society, Cleveland
P.O. Box 201476
Cleveland, OH 44120-9998
Internet: Afro-American Genealogical Society, Cleveland
Afro-American Family History Association
8716 Harkness Road
Cleveland, OH 44106
Family History Library
Other records and histories of ethnic, racial, and religious groups in Ohio are listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- OHIO - MINORITIES
- OHIO - EMIGRATION AND IMMIGRATION
The name of the minority, such as:
- AMERICAN LOYALISTS
- QUAKERS - OHIO.
Handbooks on how to research specific groups (such as Czech, German, Hispanic, Indian, Irish, Polish, etc.). For example under the heading POLES - UNITED STATES, you can find a book called Polish Genealogy Heraldry.
- Ohio. Auditor of State. Special Enumeration of Blacks Immigrating to Ohio, 1861-1863. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio Historical Society, 198-. (Family History Library film 1688779.)