Most family history periodicals reprint copies of local sources of genealogical value. These may include genealogies; information about local records and archives; queries; census indexes; and transcripts of family Bibles, biographies, church records, court records, guardianships, naturalizations, deed abstracts, vital records, cemetery records, land records, military records, tax lists, mortality schedules, obituaries, and wills.
The major genealogical periodicals that are helpful for research in Ohio are:
- Gateway to the West 
- Ohio, the Cross Road of Our Nation. (Also known as Ohio Records and Pioneer Families 
- The Report 
- The Firelands Pioneer 
- The Firelands Pioneer, New Series 
- The Firelands Pioneer, Third Series This periodical is invaluable for north central counties in Ohio.
- Ohio Genealogical Periodical Index: A County Guide 
Most of the periodicals listed above have annual indexes in the final issue for the year. For nationwide indexes to some of these and other family history periodicals, see the "Periodicals" section of the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI). Refers to items published in thousands of English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. Annual indexes have been published yearly since 1986. For further details, see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
A compact disc version that includes all PERSI volumes published through 1996 is:
- "PERSI Periodical Source Index 
For more family history periodicals, study the [Family History Library Catalog Place Search |Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog] under:
OHIO - PERIODICALS
OHIO - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
OHIO - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
OHIO, [COUNTY] - PERIODICALS
OHIO, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
OHIO, [COUNTY] - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
- Ohio History was established in June 1887 as the Ohio Archaeological and Historical Quarterly. For more than one hundred years, the journal has published peer-reviewed articles and book reviews on topics spanning the political, military, social, economic, and cultural history of our region.
- Gateway to the West. Greenville, Ohio: Anita Short, Ruth Bowers, 1967-1978. 11 Volumes. (Family History Library book 977.1 B2gw.) A 1989 edition that selected principal articles from the original is Bowers, Ruth, and Anita Short, comp. Gateway to the West. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing, 1989. Two Volumes. (Family History Library book 977.1 D25g 1989.)
- Ohio, the Cross Road of Our Nation. (Also known as Ohio Records and Pioneer Families.) Akron, Ohio: Esther Weygandt Powell, 1960-. (Family History Library book 977.1 B2o; Volumes 1-5 are also on films 873936 or 974051; Volumes 6-9 are on films 873937 or 974052.)
- The Report. Mansfield, Ohio: Ohio Genealogical Society, 1960-. (Family History Library book 977.1 B2r; Volumes 1-8 on fiche 590280.)
- The Firelands Pioneer. 13 Volumes. Norwalk, Ohio: The Firelands Historical Society, 1858-1878. (Family History Library book 977.1 B2f; film 1320962 items 1-13.)
- The Firelands Pioneer, New Series. 25 Volumes. Norwalk, Ohio: Firelands Historical Society, 1882-1937. (Family History Library book 977.1 B2f new ser.; film 1320968 Volumes. 1-4, 6-12, 14-16; film 1321376 item 5 Volume 13; film 1320969 items 1-4 Volumes 17-18, 20-21; film 1320984 items 2-5 Volumes. 22-25.)
- The Firelands Pioneer, Third Series. Norwalk, Ohio: Firelands Historical Society, 1980-. (Family History Library book 977.1 B2f 3rd ser.; film 1035999 item 3 Volume 1.) This series includes cumulative (1858-1937, Family History Library film 1320941 item 1) and obituary indexes (1857-1909, Family History Library fiche 6088685).
- Bell, Carol Willsey. Ohio Genealogical Periodical Index: A County Guide. Youngstown, Ohio: Bell Books, 1987; Sixth Edition. (Family History Library book 977.1 B22o 1987.)
- PERiodical Source Index (PERSI) Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; fiche 6016863 [set of 40] (1847-1985); fiche 6016864 [set of 15] (1986-1990).
- PERSI Periodical Source Index. Orem, Utah: Ancestry, Inc., and Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1997. (Family History Library compact disc 1313 no. 61.)