Oklahoma, United States Genealogy
United States Oklahoma
|United States Wiki Topics|
|United States Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Welcome to Oklahoma, Sooner State
The Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department's Genealogy feature assists visitors to connect with their Oklahoma ancestry with links to maps and other state, county, and tribal resources.
The Caddoe, Pawnee, and Wichita tribes were living in the area of Oklahoma in the 1700s. About the time the United States acquired the area through the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, other tribes such as the Quapaw, Oto, and Osage migrated to eastern Oklahoma. By 1837, the Civilized Tribes had settled most of their members in Oklahoma. Read more...
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Oklahoma GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Digital Archives from the Oklahoma State University, a varied selection of resources.
- BYU Oklahoma Research Outline largely duplicates these Wiki pages. Includes some bibliographic lists from BYU Library, 2001.
- Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department's new 'genealogy' section aids those looking for ancestors in Oklahoma.
Wiki articles describing online collectons arefound at:
- Oklahoma Applications for Enrollment of the Commission of the Five Civilized Tribes (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Oklahoma County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Oklahoma Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here: