Oklahoma School Records (Family Search Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
- 1 Collection Time Period
- 2 Record Description
- 3 How to Use the Record
- 4 Record History
- 5 Related Websites
- 6 Related Wiki Articles
- 7 Contributions to This Article
- 8 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
- 9 Sources of information for This Collection
Collection Time Period
The collection covers the years 1912 to 1936.
The collection includes an index and images of censuses of pupils who attended schools in Woodward County between 1912 and 1936. The records are arranged by years and then in numerical order by school district.
- Full name of each pupil and their siblings
- Date of birth (month, day and year)
- Names of parents
How to Use the Record
School records can be very helpful as they can often be used as a reliable substitute for birth records or can lead you to birth records.
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Name of the child
- Age or approximate birth date
- Parents names
Compare the information in the school record to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if this is the correct person. You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination.
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestor.
- Use the age to calculate an approximate birth date.
- Use the age or birth date along with the parents’ names and residence to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records.
It is often helpful to extract the information on all children with the same parents. If the surname is unusual, you may want to compile the entries for every person of the same surname and sort them into families based on the names of the parents. Continue to search the birth records to identify other relatives such as cousins who attended the same school or other nearby schools.
Woodward County was formed in 1893 from the Cherokee Outlet. It was orginally "N" County. On 6 Nov 1894, the new citizens voted to change the name to Woodward and establish the town of Woodward as the county seat. All of present Harper and Woodward counties, the northern part of Ellis and the western end of Woods counties were contained within the borders of county "N", Oklahoma Territory, when it was opened for settlement 16 September 1893. The first school was established in Woodward in January 1894.
Why the Record Was Created
School records helped local governments determine funding needs for individual schools.
The information is generally reliable.
- Rural Schools of "N" County, Oklahoma
- Woodward County, Oklahoma Genealogy, Facts and Records Resources
- Woodward County, Oklahoma History and Genealogy
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the Wiki Article: How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: September 29, 2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B, line 71.
- Mexico, Distrito Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1886-1933, digital images, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Fernandez Jimenez, 1 Feb. 1910, San Pedro Apóstol, Cuahimalpa, Distrito Federal, Mexico, film number 0227023.
Sources of information for This Collection
Oklahoma. Woodward County School Census, 1912-1936. Northwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society. Woodward, Oklahoma.