Most family history periodicals publish transcriptions of local sources used in genealogical research. Information published in periodicals may include family histories, genealogies, historical background, maps, information about local records and archives, queries, census indexes, transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, military records, obituaries, and wills. Often published by genealogical or historical societies, they typically focus on the records of a particular county, while a few may specialize in records of a particular ethnic group or religion.
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines helpful for Oklahoma research are:
- The Chronicles of Oklahoma. 1921—. Published by the Oklahoma Historical Society, 2100 North Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, OK 73105. (Family History Library book 976.6 B2c.) There is a book which indexes vols. 1-37 (1921-1959), and a book that indexes vols. 38-57 (1960-1979). (Family History Library book 976.6 B2cIndex.)
A valuable topical guide is:
- Welsh, Carol. An Annotated Guide to The Chronicles of Oklahoma, 1921-1994. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Oklahoma Historical Society, 1996. (Family History Library book 976.6 A33w.)
- Four States Genealogist. 1969-1973. Published by the Indian Nations Press, 812 Mayo Building, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103. (Family History Library book 973 B2fs.) This pertains to the states of Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.
- Key Finder. 1980-. Published by the Northwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 834, Woodward, OK 73802. (Family History Library book 976.6 D25k.)
- Oklahoma Genealogical Society Quarterly (formerly: The Bulletin). 1961-. Published by the Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 12986, Oklahoma City, OK 73157-2986. (Family History Library book 976.6 B2q.)
- The Texarkana U.S.A. Quarterly. 1974-. Published by the Texarkana U.S.A. Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 2323, Texarkana, Arkansas-TX 75504-2323. (Family History Library book 976 D25t.)
- The Tree Tracers. 1976-. Published by the Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 148, Lawton, Oklahoma 73502-0148. (Family History Library book 976.6 B2tr.)
- Tulsa Annals. 1966-. Published by the Tulsa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 585, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74101-0585. (Family History Library book 976.6 B2t.)
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the Family History Library catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies.
Periodicals can be found on state, county and local levels. The Family History Library has many collected periodicals. These can be found by using a Place-name Search or a Title Search of the Family History Library catalog. Some periodicals may be found with a Keyword Search for the publishing society name. Societies may be also be found on state, county or locallevels.