Online Research Classes Syllabus
Online Research Classes at FamilySearch.org
Darin Hakes, Community Manager
Attendees will learn about the ways FamilySearch is taking learning opportunities online and how to take advantage of them. Attendees will also get a sneak peek into what classes are in development, what types of educational experiences are coming in the future, and how to use other learning resources available on FamilySearch Web sites.
At the end of this class, you should be able to:
• Participate in the online research classes at FamilySearch.org.
• Show others how to participate in the online research classes at FamilySearch.org.
• Use the FamilySearch Research Wiki to supplement what you learned from the online classes.
• Use the FamilySearch Forums to get answers to research questions that arise.
• Be excited about learning opportunities and share your excitement with your friends, family, and fellow family historians.
TAKE A CLASS OR SHOW SOMEONE HOW
To use the excellent online research classes at FamilySearch.org, follow these steps:
1. Go to the FamilySearch home page by typing familysearch.org into the address section of your Internet browser (like Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari).
2. Click on the link that reads “Free Online Classes,” found under the Family History Library section:
3. Select the class you want to take by clicking the associated link. Some classes can be viewed on the same page, some will open in a new window (or tab), and some can be downloaded for viewing later offline.
4. After taking the class, give your feedback about your experience by clicking on the survey link:
Some classes have links to the FamilySearch Research Wiki
Some classes or series have links to the FamilySearch Research Wiki built into them, such as the Ireland and United States classes. These links are to articles that will provide more information about the particular subject of the class.
Search the FamilySearch Research Wiki
1. Go to the FamilySearch Research Wiki by typing wiki.familysearch.org into the address section of your Internet browser.
2. Type keywords to search for articles on your subject of interest:
3. Click on a link in the list of search results to go to the article.
GET ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS
Post a question to FamilySearch Forums
1. Go to the FamilySearch Forums by typing forums.familysearch.org into the address section of your Internet browser.
2. Click on the forum (subject) of interest, such as “Localities: United Kingdom and Ireland,” and then click the subforum if applicable, such as “Scotland.”
3. Look through the posts to see if your question has already been asked, and if so, click on the thread; if not, click “New Thread” to post your question.
4. Check back to see if your question has been answered or if new posts have been added to the thread.