Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Onslow County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Directories
- 4.6 Education
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Migration
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 4.17 Wills
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Onslow County North Carolina
109 Old Bridge St Rm 107
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Register of Deeds has birth and death from 1914, marriage records from 1893
and land records from 1734, Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and
court records from from 1915
earlier records at Dept of Archives Raleigh, NC 27602
Visit the Onslow County Web Page to learn more.
1752, 1786--Storms destroyed many records.
- Onslow County cemeteries - via Onslow County NCGenWeb
- Onslow County cemeteries - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Onslow County cemeteries - via Find-A-Grave
For tips on accessing Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Church of England
- St. John's Parish. Established by 1741.
- Onslow County court information - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Onslow County business directory - area business information; via Onslow County NCGenWeb
- Onslow County students at NC colleges - via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
"Tucker meticulously chronicled the history of coastal North Carolina and particularly Onslow County and the Swansboro area"--Foreword, v. 6:
- Littleton, Tucker Reed and Coastal Genealogical Society. The Tucker Littleton Notes. 10 vols. Swansboro, N.C.: Coastal Genealogical Society, 1998-2008. FHL Books 975.6 H29t v. 1 - 975.6 H29t v. 10
A county heritage book is available:
- Onslow County History Society. The Heritage of Onslow County, 1983. Winston-Salem, N.C.: Onslow County Historical Society in cooperation with Hunter Publishing Company, 1983. FHL Book 975.623 H2h
Compiled genealogies of several Onslow families were published in:
- Stroscio, Michael A. Some Onslow Families with Collateral Lines (Onslow County, North Carolina). 1976; reprint, Columbia, Md.: M.A. Stroscio, 1980. FHL Film 1033718 Item 8
- Stroscio, Michael A. Some Onslow Families with Collateral Lines - Andrews, Bishop, Burnett, Ennett, Fisher, Horne, King, Lane, Lloyd, Mason, McClammy, McDaniel, Redd, Sidbury, Stockley, Stroscio, Thompson, Triscuizzi, Walker (Onslow County, North Carolina). Raleigh, N.C.: M.A. Stroscio, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 Si13sm 1999; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Anderson] Wright, Carl V. The Doty/Andreson/Shepperd and Allied Families. Ganado, Texas: C.V. Wright, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 D742w
- [Barber] Fountain, Alvin M. Family of Micah & Elizabeth Barber Children and Grandchildren, Onslow County, North Carolina. Raleigh, N.C.: A.M. Fountain, 1975. FHL Film 928044 Item 30
- [Barber] Fountain, Alvin M. The Family of Mitch Barber and His Wife. Microfilmed 1997. FHL Film 1750833 Item 26
- [Bumpus] Bumpus, Carle Franklin. Bompas, Bumpass, Bump, Bumpus and Allied Families, 1621-1985-- Supplement No. 1. Lady Lake, Fla.: C.F. Bumpus, 1989-1993, 1985. FHL Books 929.273 B88bc 1985 supp. 1, 929.273 B88bc 1993 supp. 1
- [Clifton] Clifton, Harvey B. The Clifton Family: Descendants of William Clifton, A Revolutionary War Soldier. Daytona Beach, Fla.: H.B. Clifton, revised 1987, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 C613ch
- [Duffy] Badgley, Azalea Green. Duffy Family Bible Records, ca. 1808-19__. Typescript. Donated 1945. FHL Film 1697360 Item 14
- [Dulany] Scott, Mary Rebecca Dulany. Gone to Texas: A Compendium of the Dulany, Haddox, Heaton, Holland and Martin Families. Tomball, Texas: M.R.D. Scott, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 D886s
- [Farr] Farr, Eugene. Farr and Near Farr: Descendants of Col. William Farr of Union County, South Carolina from 1735: (Allied Families: Alley, Bailey, Fowler, Garner, Glenn, Lipsey, Lowry, McDuff (McElduff), Stribling, Thomas and Many, Many Others). Chesterfield, Mo.: E. Farr, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 F24fe
- [Fountain] Fountain, Maxine Taylor, Marcia Taylor Fountain, and Alvin Marcus Fountain. The John R. Fountain Family of Onslow County, North Carolina: Being a Collection of Family Researches, Writings and References of Alvin Marcus Fountain and Some Sseventy Plus Other Members of the Family. Raleigh, N.C.: M.T. Fountain, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 F825f
- [Foyle] Magee, Zuma Fendlason and Aletha Barker Hamiter. Foyle (Foil) Genealogy. Franlinton, La.: Z.F. Magee, 1956. FHL Film 1008689 Item 4
- [Hart] Peyton, Helen E. Some Early Pioneers of Western Kentucky, Their Ancestors and Descendants. Charleston, S.C.: H.E.H. Peyton, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 H251p 1990
- [Huffman] Huffman, Esker Aubrey. The Asa Huffman Family of Jasper County, Texas: A Genealogy and Family History from the Year 1371 to 2000. Costa Mesa, Calif.: E.A. Huffman, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 H872he
- [King] Walton, June Roper. Kith and Kin of Willie Adam Walton and Ethel Mae King. Four Oaks, N.C.: J.R. Roper, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 W173wk
- [Middleton] Brown, Leslie H. "John Middleton of Hampton, Va., and Onslow County, N.C.," The American Genealogist, Vol. 55, No. 3 (Jul. 1979):161-162. FHL Book 973 D25aga v. 55
- [Morgan] Hinson, Emma Morgan. Morgan. N.C.: E.M. Hinson, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 M821hi
- [Overton] Powell, Durward E. John Overton of Stepney, Middlesex, England, and His Descendants. Durham, N.C.: D.E. Powell, 1998, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 Ov2p
- [Powell] Andrea, Leonardo. Powell. MSS., Typescript, Polk County Historical Library, Bartow, Fla., 1962. 978080 Item 2
- [Prescott] Prescott, Fannie Lee, Adell Taylor Prescott and Clarence Ray Prescott. A Bicentennial Salute to the Descendants of Willoughby Prescott of Carteret County, North Carolina Born ca. 1750, Died 1829. Greenville, N.C.: A.T. Prescott, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 P925p
- [Provow] Provow, Douglas W. The Provo(w) Family History. Typescript, 1972. FHL Film 1750742 Item 52
- [Redd] Bryner, Ellen Redd and John Hardison Redd. Biography of Lemuel Hardison Redd. MSS. Microfilmed 1974. FHL Book 921.73 A1 no. 47 [LDS]
- [Redd] Redd, Lura. The Utah Redds and Their Progenitors. Salt Lake City, Utah: A.J. Redd, 2001. FHL CD-ROM no. 1427 [LDS]
- [Reed] Phillips, Opal B. and Carrie B. Hart. George Reed Family. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986. Family Records Collection, Barrett Memorial Library, Petersburg, Ind. FHL Film 1451834
- [Snead] Butler, Florence Roberta Walker. The Sneads of Accomack County Virginia, Craven, Onslow and Johnston Counties, North Carolina and Allied Families. n.p.: R.W. Butler, 2008. FHL Book
- [Walton] Walton, June Roper. Kith and Kin of Willie Adam Walton and Ethel Mae King. Four Oaks, N.C.: J.R. Roper, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 W173wk
- [Williams] Maready, Kellon. John Williams (1745-1792), Onslow County, NC: Descendants of His Sons Hopkins Williams, (1790-1866), Stephen Decatur Williams (1775-1862), Duplin County, NC. Chinquapin, N.C.: A.K. Maready, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 W673ma
- [Wooton] Wooten, E.C., Jessamine Young Wooton, and Wooten and Related Families Association. Charles Wooton of Kentucky. Arlington, Va.: Wooten and Related Families Association, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 W889we
- Onslow County deeds - via NCGenWeb Archives
Early migration routes to and from Onslow County for European settlers included:
- Onslow County NCGenWeb Military page
- Life Before Camp Lejune - area history compiled by Jane Hoveland
- African American Soldiers & Sailors - focused on those from Onslow County
- Confederates of Onslow County - blog
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Onslow County newspaper information - via Onslow County NCGenWeb
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1765-1961 - Will Books A, 1 to 7 (1765-1961) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Onslow County tax records - via NCGenWeb Archives
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Onslow County Register of Deeds. Check their website for more information.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state ; via FamilySearch
- NC Marriages as reported in Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searcheable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - via FamilySearch; images included
- Onslow County Deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s
- Onslow County Death Index 1982-2006 - via the Register of Deeds
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - via FamilySearch; images included
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - via FamilySearch
- Onslow County wills - includes will books A, B & C; via Onslow County NCGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Onslow, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Onslow County Museum
- Swansboro History - blog dedicated to Swansboro
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Onslaw County, North Carolina. Page 511 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Onslow County QuickFacts". U.S. Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/37/37133.html. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 414. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.