Orange County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Orange County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Orange County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Orange County Courthouse
425 N Orange Ave
Orlando, FL 32801-3547
Formerly Mosquito County, name was changed to Orange 30 Jan 1845.
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1890,
court and probate records from 1869. 
1824--Before 1824, all of Florida was divided into two counties, Alachua to the west and St Johns to the east. In 1824, the area of St Johns County from south of Jacksonville to the Lake Okochobee area was split off to become Mosquito County. When Florida achieved statehood in 1845, the county was renamed Orange County. Later, other counties were created from Orange County -- Seminole, Osceola, others. From 1824 to 1845, the county seat was Enterprise. The current county seat is Orlando.
County seat: Enterprise 1824-1845; Orlando 1845-present 
1868 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
A listing of cemeteries in Orange County, with a survey of some of them, can be found at the Orange County GenWeb site.
- Greenwood Cemetery, Orlando
- Ocoee Cemetery, Ocoee
- West Orange Memorial Gardens, Ocoee
- Winter Garden Cemetery, Windermere
For tips on accessing Orange County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Search Orange County criminal cases here.
Civil court cases can be searched here.
Search 1843-2009 land records by grantee or grantor names or search by book and page number at this Web site. You can even view and print the images! Click "I Accept" to get to the search page.
Map and statistics about Orange County can be found here.
Search probate records Online here.
- 1869-1909 - Orange County Marriages 1869-1909 can be found at http://cfgs.org/mar1fwd.htm. These were published by the Central Florida Genealogical Society.
- 1869-1927 - Orange County Marriage Books 1-8 Index 1869-1927 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
The Central Florida Genealogical Society, Inc represents genealogists from the Central Florida area. The Society meets monthly September through May. A Daytime Group and the Computer Interest Group meet bi-monthly year round. The Society produces a monthly newsletter, Treasure Chest News, and a quarterly journal, Buried Treasures. There is also a yearly conference or seminar.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Orlando Florida Family History Center
- Orlando Florida Hunters Creek Family History Center
- Orlando Florida South Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Orange County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Orange County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Central Florida Genealogical Society, Inc
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Orange County, Florida Page 136 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/3f/Igifloridamz.pdf.