Orange County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Orange County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Orange County Courthouse
200 S Cameron St
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Courthouse burned 1789
Registrar of Deeds has Birth and Death rec from 1913
marriage and land records from 1754, divorce records from 1869
probate records from 1756 and court records from 1865
For tips on accessing Orange County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- [Clendenin] White, Jo White. "Clendenin of Orange County, North Carolina: An Exercise in Southern Genealogical Problem Solving," The Genealogist, Vol. 6, No. 2 (Fall 1985):186-190.
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- UNC Black Student Movement Newspapers (1969-1981) -- available from the NC Digital Heritage Center
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project, North Carolina State Archives. Search full text newspapers published in Hillsboro.
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Orange County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1752-1946 - Will Books 1 to 13 and A to M (1752-1946) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Orange County, North Carolina. Page 511 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).