Oregon Naturalization and Citizenship
In the territorial era, immigrants could apply for citizenship at any U.S. district court. Naturalization records filed as part of the “donation land” laws are at the National Archives.
After statehood in 1859, the circuit court had primary jurisdiction over naturalization. The county clerk served as clerk of the circuit court and kept the records. You can obtain copies of declarations and petitions from the clerk's office in each county. Some naturalization records may also be found in county court journals or U.S. district court records. The Family History Library has copies of some naturalization records for Oregon.
- United States District and Circuit Courts, Declarations of intention, 1859-1941; petitions for naturalization, 1906-1941; indexes, 1863-1956; military petitions for naturalization, 1917-1918 FHL Film 1492135 items 2 - 3 (first film)
- For naturalization records after September 1906, contact the National Archives—Pacific Northwest Region (Seattle) or use the Genealogy Program at www.uscis.gov. The Seattle Branch has records of the U.S. District Court for 1859 to 1970, and the U.S. Circuit Court for 1870 to 1912.
- The Family History Library has U.S. District Court indexes 1863-1956 and records 1859-1941 (beginning on Family History Library film FHL film1492135 item 2), and U.S. Circuit Court indexes 1859-1956 FHL film 1433979 (first film).
- W. David Samuelsen, Oregon Naturalization Records Index (Family History Library book FHL book 979.5 P4s. A published index covering the years 1906-1930.
- The Family History Library has copies of naturalization records which are located at the county level. Search the Family History Library Catalog for naturalization records under the county and state:
- OREGON, NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP
- OREGON, [Name of County] - NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP
Oregon Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- NOTE: All of the information from the original research outline has been imported into this Wiki site and is being updated as time permits.