Orem Utah Sunset Heights Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Our Family History Center serves patrons in the three stake area of Cherry Hill, Lakeview and Sunset Heights. The location is adjacent to Utah Valley University and across from Krispy Kreme Donuts. The staff pride themselves on ONE-ON-ONE help. Staff have, or are currently serving as consultants with BYU's Regional Center, the Regional Family History Training Center, Family History Library and FamilySearch Support.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events.
- 3 Upcoming Classes -
Center Contacts and Hours
- Address: 1260 South 400 West, Orem, Utah (White chapel across the street north of Krispy Kreme.)
- Ring bell to gain access. Get a parking pass from center for use before 3 pm.
- <a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1260+South+400+West,+Orem,+Utah&hl=en&ll=40.274025,-111.704607&spn=0.028519,0.038795&sll=47.272986,-120.882277&sspn=6.492969,9.931641&hnear=1260+S+400+W,+Orem,+Utah+84058&t=m&z=15">Location on Map</a>
E-mail: <a href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org</a>
Check out our webpage: http://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com/
- Monday - Friday 10 am to 4 pm,
- Tuesday & Wednesday: 6:30 pm to 9 pm.
- Saturday 10 am to 1 pm
- (Call after 8pm. If no patrons are at center Staff may close the center.)
Group Reservation: E-mail or Contact the Director, Marilyn Thomsen 801-787-8086
Holiday Schedule: .
- Closed General Conference – Saturday April 6. 2013
- Closed Memorial - Monday May 27, 2013
- Closed Independence Day - Thursday July 4, 2013
- Closed Pioneer Day - Wed. July 24, 2013
- Closed Labor Day - Monday September 2, 2013
- Closed General Conference – Saturday, October 6, 2013
- Closed Thanksgiving - Thursday thru Saturday, November 21, 22, 23
- Closed Christmas and New Years - Monday, December 16 thru Monday, January 2, 2014. There will be no classes scheduled at the Sunset Heights Tri-stake Family History Center in the month of December.
- Closed Martin Luther King Day - Monday January 20, 2014
Calendar and Events.
Upcoming Classes -
All classes taught at Sunset Heights FHC. Our Focus this year is to teach you how to use the many tools found on FamilySearch.
Family History Writing Class Every Wednesday at 3 pm
Henry Miles will teach a fun approach to writing your family history in “one experience essays.” To prepare for class, attendees should choose one experience to write about and come to class prepared to relate that experience orally. This class will be taught every week, same day and time. You are encouraged to come as many times as you want to gain the skill necessary to create an interesting and readable record of your family’s history. Brother Miles techniques involve a lot of class participation and will make the writing task easier and more efficient. He will help edit your work and aid you into eventually turning them into a book if you desire.
FS – Books Wed. April 10th, 11am There are many books available on FamilySearch. Learn how to access and use them.
Ancestry.com #1 Tuesday, April 2, 3pm & 7 pm You've heard of it, now learn to use it. Part one-an overview of Ancestry.com, search techniques, using the card catalog, immigration and travel, and photos. This is the first of a 3 class series. Google, Mocavo, others Searches Apr 25, 7pm & Fri 26, 11 am Learn search tips for searching on-line for your ancestor's information .
Getting Started 1-3 3 week class - Tuesdays, April 16, 23, 30, 7 pm Beginner Class for the true beginner or anyone who needs a refresher course. Three classes of 60-90 minutes each. Videos, discussion, hands-on workshop. Designed for people comfortable with computers but unsure of how to start your family history. BEFORE THE CLASS -Register for an LDS Account and bring your username and password to the class. Come to the FHC for help to register at least one day ahead.
R Tips - Inferential Genealogy Thursday, April 11th 7pm & Wednesday April 17th 3 pm Use inferential reasoning to break through many tough genealogical problems. Learn look beyond what records tell you, piecing together bits of efforts to gain knowledge that no record may tell you all by itself.
Ward Consultant Training Thursday, April 18 at 7 pm
Boy Scout Merit Badge Workshop Saturday, April 20th 11 am- 12:30 pm
Future Class Schedule:
<a href="http://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com/">Click here</a> to see our Blog.
Staff Training Meetings
- Second Tuesday evening each month at 7 pm.
- <a href="https://www.familysearch.org/#form=catalog">Family History Library Catalog:</a> This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- <a href="http://fhc.familysearch.org/">FHC Portal:</a> This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Record managment programs: Legacy, Rootsmagic, Ancestral Quest, Family Tree Maker, PAF, FamilyInsight
- Pedigree Resource File discs 1-145
- Microfilms and microfiche
- Scanner and Photoshop software
- Map My family Tree, PAF Companion
- AniMap Software.
- Nauvoo Database
- Mormon Immigration Vital Record Database
- Books to assist research such as: Sources, Red Book, Philmont Parish Register,
Hardware and Equipment
- Microfilm and microfiche reader
- 12 computers with access to familysearch.org portal
- Wireless internet access with plugs and room for tables and access for up to 30 laptops
Staff Research Specialties
Powerpoint presentations for Boy Scout Merit Badge
Classes for Young Women, Merry Miss Groups
FamilySearch Support Specialists
- England/British Isles
- Spanish/Central America
- LDS Research
- U. S. New England, Mid South, Southern
Resources in the Local Area
BYU Family History Regional Center, Orem Library, Utah Valley University.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
Seeking Volunteers able to serve on Saturdays and in the evening. Also a wiki blogger and a computer