Orem Utah Sunset Heights Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Our Family History Center serves patrons in the three stake area of Cherry Hill, Lakeview and Sunset Heights. The location is adjacent to Utah Valley University and across from Krispy Kreme Donuts. The staff pride themselves on ONE-ON-ONE help. Staff have, or are currently serving as consultants with BYU's Regional Center, the Regional Family History Training Center, Family History Library and FamilySearch Support.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Holiday Schedule:
- 3 The Sunset Heights Center has been closed and will reopen September 30, 2013.<u
- 4 Upcoming Classes -
Center Contacts and Hours
- Address: 1260 South 400 West, Orem, Utah
- Ring bell to gain access. Get a parking pass from center for use before 3 pm.
Check out our webpage: http://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com/
The Sunset Heights Center will be closed beginning June 12, 2013 and reopen September 30, 2013 due to building seismic upgrades.
- Monday and Thursday: 10 am to 4 pm
- Tuesday & Wednesday: 10 am to 4 pm & 6:30 pm to 9 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 10 am to 1 pm
(Call after 8pm. If no patrons are at center, staff may close the center.)
Group Reservation: Contact or email Directors: Cheryl and Ken Fugal, 801-221-4774, email@example.com
The Sunset Heights Center has been closed and will reopen September 30, 2013.<u
- Closed General Conference – Saturday, October 6, 2013
- Closed Thanksgiving - Wednesday thru Saturday, November 27- 30
- Closed Christmas and New Years - Monday, December 16 thru Wednesday, January 1, 2014. There will be no classes scheduled at the Sunset Heights Tri-stake Family History Center in the month of December.
- Closed Martin Luther King Day - Monday January 20, 2014
- Closed General Conference - Saturday April 5, 1014
- Closed Memorial Day weekend - Saturday, May 24 and Monday May 26, 2014
Calendar and Events.
Staff Open House 1-3pm & 6-8pm on Thursday, September 26, 12am – Fri, September 27, 12am
Stafff Training Meeting: every second Tuesday od the month 7pm.
Upcoming Classes -
All classes taught at Sunset Heights FHC. Our Focus this year is to teach you how to use the many tools found on FamilySearch.
We offer BASIC HELP any time we ore open in three areas:
- Getting Started with Your Family History
- Using Family Tree
- Using Family Search
Classes are 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 11am and 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 7pm.
Family History Writing Class Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013, 1-3pm at Chery Hill Stake Center
Henry Miles will teach a fun approach to writing your family history in “one experience essays.” To prepare for class, attendees should choose one experience to write about and come to class prepared to relate that experience orally. This class will be taught every week, same day and time. You are encouraged to come as many times as you want to gain the skill necessary to create an interesting and readable record of your family’s history. Brother Miles techniques involve a lot of class participation and will make the writing task easier and more efficient. He will help edit your work and aid you into eventually turning them into a book if you desire.
FamilySearch – Historical Records Instructor: _____________
Tuesday, October 1st at 11 am and again Thursday October 3rd (1 hour class w/hands on experience)
Learn to effectively and efficiently search the ever growing historical record database on FamilySearch. The Historical Records Collection are been digitized and are available online and accessible from the opening page of the FamilySearch website. Learn techniques for conducting thorough and productive searches in these records.
Research Tips and Tricks: Searching for “Buried Treasures” in Cemeteries and Beyond
<uTuesday October 15th at 11 am and again Thursday October 17th (1 hour class w/hands on experience) Learn how to research cemetery records and other death records.
Future Class Schedule:
<a href="http://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com/">Click here</a> to see our Blog.
Staff Training Meetings
- Second Tuesday evening each month at 7 pm.
- <a href="https://www.familysearch.org/#form=catalog">Family History Library Catalog:</a> This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- <a href="http://fhc.familysearch.org/">FHC Portal:</a> This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Record managment programs: Legacy, Rootsmagic, Ancestral Quest, Family Tree Maker, PAF, FamilyInsight
- Pedigree Resource File discs 1-145
- Microfilms and microfiche
- Scanner and Photoshop software
- Map My family Tree, PAF Companion
- AniMap Software.
- Nauvoo Database
- Mormon Immigration Vital Record Database
- Books to assist research such as: Sources, Red Book, Philmont Parish Register,
Hardware and Equipment
- Microfilm and microfiche reader
- 12 computers with access to familysearch.org portal
- Wireless internet access with plugs and room for tables and access for up to 30 laptops
Staff Research Specialties
Powerpoint presentations for Boy Scout Merit Badge
Classes for Young Women, Merry Miss Groups
FamilySearch Support Specialists
- England/British Isles
- Spanish/Central America
- LDS Research
- U. S. New England, Mid South, Southern
Resources in the Local Area
BYU Family History Regional Center, Orem Library, Utah Valley University.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
Seeking Volunteers able to serve on Saturdays and in the evening. Also a wiki blogger and a computer