Otero County, Colorado Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Otero County Courthouse
13 W 3rd St;
La Junta, CO 81050-0000
County Clerk has marriage records from 1892 and land records 1889
Clerk County Court has divorce and probate recors; Clerk District Court
has court records
- Before 1861 the southern 2/3rds of this modern Colorado county were in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 1 February 1860 it became part of Mora County.
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Huerfano County).
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
Places / Localities
Archives and Libraries
- Fowler Public Library
114 E Cranston Ave
Fowler, CO 81039
- La Junta/Woodruff Memorial Library
522 Colorado Ave
La Junta, CO 81050
- Manzanola School/Public Library
301 S Catalpa
Manzanola, CO 81058
Telephone: (719) 462-5542
- Rocky Ford Public Library
400 South 10th Street
Rocky Ford, CO 81067
Telephone: (719) 254-6641
- Swink School/Public Library
610 Columbia Ave
Swink, CO 81077
Telephone: (719) 384-8103
- Otero County Cemeteries - Otero County Genealogy and History
- Otero County Cemeteries - USGenWeb Archives
- Otero County Cemeteries - List, Findagrave
- Otero County Cemeteries - Map, Findagrave
For tips on accessing Otero County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Center
- Otero County CO Trails to the Past
- Orero County CO GenWeb
- Otero County CO GenWeb Archives
- Orero County CO Rootsweb
- Otero County CO Linkpendium
- Otero County CO Genealogy and History
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 100, Otero County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- Handybook, 99, Huerfano County, Colorado.