Ottawa County, Kansas Genealogy
Ottawa County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Ottawa County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 27, 1860|
|Address|| Ottawa County Courthouse|
307 N. Concord Street
Minneapolis, Kansas 67467-2140
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Ottawa County Courthouse
307 N Concord
Minneapolis, KS 67467
County clerk has marriage, divorce and probate records.
City Officers have birth records from 1911 and death records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1860--Ottawa County was created 27 February 1860 from unorganized territory. County seat: Minneapolis 
During the Civil War the settlers of Ottawa County were driven out by Indian raids and returned in 1863, but spent their energy in defending themselves against the Indians. After the war there was an influx of discharged Civil War Veterans coming to take advantage of their soldiers' claims.
Obituary Index for the Minneapolis Messenger 1920-2003. Index gives the name and death date. Instructions for ordering a copy are included on the web page.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ottawa County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ottawa County, Kansas page 254, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).