Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1929, 1967--Disasters destroyed most of the records.
|Chestnut Gap||Levi||Scoville||Travellers Rest|
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Local volunteers through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Owsley County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Owsley Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog may list some records of cemeteries in Owsley County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Owsley County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Lerose Cemetery, Owsley County Kentucky.
- Owsley County, Kentucky Cemeteries.
- Cemeteries of Owsley County, Kentucky.
- The Political Graveyard.
- Cemeteries. Callahan, Griffith, Horn Hill, King, Lerose, McIntosh, Morris, Noble, Pendergrass, Shepherd, Wilson.
- United States Census (Mortality Schedule), 1850.
- United States Census (Slave Schedule), 1850.
- United States Census, 1850.
- United States Census, 1860.
- 1860 Owsley County, Kentucky Slave Schedule.
- United States Census, 1870.
- United States Census, 1880.
- United States Census, 1900.
- Many Land records for Owsley County have been microfilmed or abstracted. Some of those copies are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. For a listing of their holdings, see the topic details from their catalog.
- Owsley County Pensioners on the Roll in 1883.
- Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System.
- U. S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865. $
- Owsley County, Kentucky World War II Casualties Army and Airforce.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. $
- World War II Draft Registraion Cards, 1942. $
- U. S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946. $
- Schools. Anglin, Bee Branch, Bethelehem, Bradshaw, Cortland, Fish Creek, Highland, Indian Creek, Lerose, Leroy, Moores, Riverside, Rockhouse, Royal Oak, Walnut Grove.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1852 Vital Statistics Births.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1854 Vital Statistics Births.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1876 Vital Statistics Births.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1877 Vital Statistics Births. (Partial listing).
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1907 Vital Statistics Births.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1908 Vital Statistics Births.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1909 Vital Statistics Births.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1911-1290 Birth Index.
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910. $
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999. $
- Owsley County Deaths, 1911-1946.
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953. $
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000. $
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1853 Vital Statistics Marriage.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1854 Vital Statistics Marriage.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1858 Vital Statistics Marriage.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1859 Vital Statistics Marriage. (Though the film labels these marriages as 1859 they're dated 1858).
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1876 Vital Statistics Marriage.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1877 Vital Statistics Marriage.
- Owsley County, Kentucky 1878 Vital Statistics Marriage.
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865. $
- Owsley County, Kentucky Marriages 1831-1954.
- Kentucky Marriages Records, 1852-1914. $
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900. $
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999. $
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy.
- Tim & Valorie's Owsley County Kentucky Archives.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).