Oxford County, Maine Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
26 Western Avenue
South Paris, Maine 04281
Oxford County; 26 Western Ave; PO Box 179; South Paris, ME 04281; ph. 207.743.6359 Details: (Twn Clks have b, m & d rec; Clk Cts has m rec 1877-1897, div & ct rec from 1930, pro & land rec from 1805) Towns organized Before 1800: Bethel 1796, Buckfield 1793, Buxton 1772, Fryeburg 1777, Hartford 1798, Hebron 1792, Norway 1797, Paris 1793, Sumner 1798, Waterford 1797 www.rootsweb.com/~meoxford/
- 2 counties were created over the years:
Places / Localities
Hatcher, Patricia Law. "My Ancestor Isn't In the Census: The 9,603 Missing Oxford County Residents In 1810," Maine Genealogist, May 1998, 65-68. Available at FHL Article includes a chart of the towns missing from the census.
Maine Newspaper Archive. Indexes Free; Digital Page Images $ (GenealogyBank $) Twenty-two early Maine 18th and 19th century newspapers, 1785-1898 online. Indexes (free); digital images ($). These newspapers are from Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, Brunswick, Castine, Eastport, Falmouth, Hallowell, Kennebunk, Portland, Saco and Wiscasset.
Tip: early Maine newspapers routinely reported on news, obituaries, births, marriages etc. from around the state. Be sure to search the indexes for all Maine newspapers to find your target ancestor.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Oxford County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Oxford County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Oxford County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Oxford County
- Oxford County Genealogy Notebook
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content