Oxford County, Maine Genealogy
Guide to Oxford County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Oxford County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
Location of Maine in the U.S.
|Founded||March 4, 1805|
|County Seat||South Paris|
|Address|| Oxford County Courthouse|
26 Western Ave
PO Box 179
South Paris, ME 04281
Oxford County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Town Clerks have birth, marriage and death records.
Clerk Courts has marriage records1877-1897, divorce and court records from 1930, probate and land records from 1805. 
- 2 counties were created over the years:
Places / Localities
Unorganized territories. For further details see Maine townships.
- North Oxford
- TA R1 Riley Township
- TA R2 Grafton Township
- Andover North Surplus
- Andover West Surplus
- Township C
- C Surplus
- T4 R1 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Richardsontown Township)
- T4 R2 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Adamstown Township)
- T4 R3 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Lower Cupsuptic Township)
- T5 R3 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Parkertown Township)
- T4 R4 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Upper Cupsuptic Township)
- T5 R4 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Lynchtown Township)
- T4 R5 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Oxbow Township)
- T5 R5 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Parmachenee Township)
- T4 R6 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Bowmantown Township)
- South Oxford
- Batchelders Grant
- Mason Township
- Albany Township
Villages • Dickvale • North Waterford • Waterford Flat
Extinct or unincorporated towns • Albany • Franklin Plantation • Mason • Milton
Hatcher, Patricia Law. "My Ancestor Isn't In the Census: The 9,603 Missing Oxford County Residents In 1810," Maine Genealogist, May 1998, 65-68. Available at FHL Article includes a chart of the towns missing from the census.
Maine Newspaper Archive. Indexes Free; Digital Page Images $ (GenealogyBank $) Twenty-two early Maine 18th and 19th century newspapers, 1785-1898 online. Indexes (free); digital images ($). These newspapers are from Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, Brunswick, Castine, Eastport, Falmouth, Hallowell, Kennebunk, Portland, Saco and Wiscasset.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Oxford County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Oxford County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Oxford County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Oxford County
- Oxford County Genealogy Notebook
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Oxford County, Maine page 305, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 107. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.