Panola County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Panola County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Panola County Courthouse
151 Public Sq;
Batesville, MS 38606-2220
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce and probate records from 1836.
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage reocrds from 1885 and court records 1836. 
1886--Panola County was created 9 February 1836 from the the Chickasaw Cesson.
County seat: Batesville 
1886--Some records were lost.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Panola County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Holy Innocents Parish, Como
- 1881-1885 - Holy Innocents Parish, Como, Baptism Index 1881-1885. Batch C714301 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856-1895 - Holy Innocents Parish, Como, Marriage Index 1856-1895. Batch M714301 at FamilySearch - free.
Davis Chapel, Methodist Episcopal
- 1881-1920, 1940-1944 - Davis Chapel, Methodist Episcopal Baptism Index 1881-1920, 1940-1944. Batch C714281 at FamilySearch - free.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Como
- 1879-1885 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Como, Baptism Index 1879-1885. Batch C714311 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1895 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Como, Marriage Index 1880-1895. Batch M714311 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1900 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Como, Death Index 1880-1900. Batch B714311 at FamilySearch - free.
- Family Maps of Panola County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War service men from Panola County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Panola County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company C - Panola Cavalry
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company E - Pleasant Mount Rifles
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company H - Ballentine’s Guards
- Company K - Jernigan’s Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company D - Senatobia Opposers
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company H - Hill’s Company
- - 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company H - Morris’ Company
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry (formerly 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company H - Morris’ Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company H - Panola Guards
- Company I - Senatobia Invincibles, aka Invincibles
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Sardis Blues [also listed as Co. F]
- 1879-1880 - Panola County Birth Index 1879-1880. Batch C749877 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-1942 - Panola County Birth Index 1879-1942. Batch C714295 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1917 - Panola County Marriage Books 1-7 and Index 1823-1927 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Panola County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.