Pedigree Resource File
When to Use It
Use Pedigree Resource File to discover what genealogical research has already been done. Use it to guide you towards original records. As with all compiled genealogies, Pedigree Resource File has significant limitations (see below) and more accurate information should be sought from the original records.
- Submitters are responsible for the accuracy of the information. FamilySearch does not check the accuracy of any contributed genealogy.
- Information in Pedigree Resource File is second-hand. Verify the information before accepting it.
- Submitter information, previously available, is now hidden for privacy reasons.
- Pedigree Resource File contains many errors and unlike the new FamilySearch Tree, corrections are not accepted. Submitters are advised to make another submission that includes corrections. However, both old and new submissions are left in Pedigree Resource File.
|May 1999|| Ability to submit genealogies on the new www.familysearch.org. Submissions occurred at the rate of about 1.2 million names per month.|
|1999|| Released CDs 1-8.|
|February 2000|| Ability to search the master index of all Pedigree Resource File CD-ROM discs.|
|July 2000|| First nine discs are available.|
|2000|| Released CDs 9-22.|
|4 January 2003|| Submissions to the Ancestral File are no longer accepted. Contributors told to submit to the Pedigree Resource File (PRF) instead.|
|2001|| Released CDs 23-36.|
|2002|| Released CDs 37-54.|
|2003|| Released CDs 55-75.|
|2004|| Released CDs 76-100.|
|2005|| Released CDs 101-125.|
|2006|| Released DVDs 126-130.|
|12 Mar 2007|| Total names exceeds 150 million. File has been growing by about 19 million names a year. Added the ability to view pedigrees online.|
|2007|| Released DVDs 131-137.|
|2008|| Released DVDs 138-143.|
|2009|| Released DVDs 144-147.|
|2010|| Released DVDs 148-150.|
Videos and Online lessons
- If I’d Only Known! Beginner Genealogy Mistakes (Section: Collecting Answers)
- Ancestors Season 2: Compiled Records