Pend Oreille County, Washington Genealogy
|Pend Oreille County, Washington|
Location in the state of Washington
Location of Washington in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1911|
|County Seat||Pend Oreille|
|Address|| Pend Oreille County Courthouse|
625 W 4th PO Box 5020
Newport, WA 99156-5000
Pend Oreille County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Pend Oreille County Courthouse
625 W 4th PO Box 5020
Newport, WA 99156-5000
County Auditor has birth, marriage and land records from 1911.
County Clerk has divorce, probate and court records from 1911. 
No changes to county's boundaries.
Places / Localities
- Cusick, zip code 99119, population 207
- Ione, zip code 99139, population 479
- Metaline, zip code 99152, population 173
- Metaline Falls, zip code 99153, population 238
- Newport, zip code 99156, population 2126
- Usk, zip code 99180
The Kalispel Indian Reservation is located in Pend Oreille County.
US GenWeb Pend Oreille list of cemeteries and available extractions.
Internment.net listing of cemeteries
Washington State Archives, Cheney holds many county court records from 1911 to the 1970s and later years.
Land records prior to 1911 held by the Stevens County Auditor. Records have been digitized and are available upon request.
Washington State Archives, Cheney holds the 1912-1919 plat books and description.and the list of forest lands and Indian lands acquired by the Federal government, 1913-1939 Board of Equalization correspondence and assessment review.
Steele, Richard F. Illustrated history of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties, State of Washington, published 1904.
Pend Oreille County history on HistoryLink.org article 7618.
Numerous local history books are available at the Pend Oreille County Museum store.
Cram's 1909 map of Washington cropped to show Stevens County, which included Pend Oreille County.
Current Pend Oreille County map.
Washington State Digital Archives has digitized various types of naturalization-related records, including declarations of intentions, delayed birth files, naturalization affidavits, notifications of application for admission to US citizenship, orders fixing naturalization terms, petitions and records, petitions, receipts for certificates of citizenship, record of final decrees of citizenship and record of petitions dockets. Depending on the county, records range from 1854-1988.
The Miner (Newport)
Northeast Washington Genealogical Society listing of available historic newspapers. Scroll to bottom of page for Pend Oreille County newspapers.
Washington State Library has online historic newspapers. Search for Colville Mines for 1850s references to Pend Oreille mines and mining activities.
Colville Stateman-Examiner newspapers prior to creation of the county will have references to Pend Oreille people and towns.
Crossroads on the Columbia has 1890s newspapers from the Colville area, which cover the Pend Oreille area on occasion.
- Marriages from 12 Jul 1911 to 22 Sep 1915 are listed on the Western States Marriage Index website.
- Washington Death Certificates 1907-1960 A free internet index to the 1907-1960 death certificates can be found at FamilySearch Record Search, no images are available. A transcribed death certificate may contain such information as name of the deceased, date and place of death, age, gender, birth date and birth place, mother’s maiden name and name of spouse, place of residence, occupation and certificate numbers.
- Washington State Archives, Cheney holds the 1914-1980 birth records, 1911 -1947 Marriage Register, 2 vols.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Pend Oreille County, Washington Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Stevens County Historical Society
- Pend Oreille County Museum
- Northeast Washington Genealogical Society
- US GenWeb Pend Oreille County
- Pend Oreille River Tourism Alliance
- Cutter Theatre, Metaline Falls
- Crossroads on the Columbia Preserve America project
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pend Oreille County, Washington page 734, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Evolution of Washington Counties by Newton Carl Abbott, Fred E. Carver, 1979. Published by the Yakima Valley Genealogical Society and Klickitat County Genealogical Society.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).