Difference between revisions of "Pendlebury, Lancashire Genealogy"
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
== History ==
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
== Resources ==
== Resources ==
Revision as of 21:34, 20 July 2010
PENDLEBURY, a township, in the parish of Eccles, union and hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Manchester; containing 2198 inhabitants. Mention of the local family of Pendlebury occurs as early as the time of Henry I. The Longleys or Langleys subsequently held lands here; of this family was Cardinal Thomas Langley, son of Sir Thomas, who flourished at the beginning of the 16th century. The manor passed by marriage to Sir Edward Coke's fifth son, and was sold by the late Earl of Leicester, when Mr. Coke, to the Drinkwater family. Agecroft Hall, a fine large wood-and-plaster mansion principally of the age of Elizabeth, stands on an eminence overlooking the course of the river Irwell; it was successively the residence of the Langley and Dauntesey families, and at the end of the last century came into the possession of the Rev. Richard Buck. The windows are ornamented with stained glass, exhibiting the armorial bearings of John of Gaunt, emblems of Henry II., and arms and crests of the Langleys: the apartment now used as a library, was a domestic chapel in the reign of Elizabeth, at which time there was a moat in front of the Hall. The Bolton and Bury canal and the Manchester and Bolton railway run through the township, as does the road from Manchester to Bolton. The population is chiefly employed in the manufacture and printing of cotton. St. John's church, here, is a plain square-built Norman structure, without a chancel, erected by the Manchester and Eccles Church-Building Society. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £200; patrons, Trustees. There is a place of worship for Independents, and on the road to Bolton are schools in connexion with the Church.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.