Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Pendleton County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Pendleton County Courthouse
Franklin, WV 26807
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853
Marriage records from 1800
Probate and land records from 1780
A history of Pendleton County, West Virginia Google ebook
See an interactive map of Pendleton County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Augusta County, Virginia
- Highland County, Virginia
- Rockingham County, Virginia
For tips on accessing Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- [Coberly] Harter, Mary. "James Cunningham of Western Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):9-16; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):109-116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 29 (1985).
- [Cunningham] Harter, Mary. "James Cunningham of Western Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):9-16; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):109-116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 29 (1985).
- [Harper] Rutherford, William Kenneth and Anna Clay Rutherford. Genealogical History of Our Ancestors. Revised Edition. 2 vols. Lexington, Mo., 1977. FHL Book 929.273 R933ra 1977 v. 1-v. 2.
- [Skidmore] Skidmore, Warren. Thomas Skidmore (Scudamore), 1605-1684, of Westerleigh, Gloucestershire, and Fairfield, Connecticut; His Ancestors and His Descendants to the Ninth Generation. 1980. FHL Book 929.273 Sk32sk; 1985 edition: FHL Book 929.273 Sk32sk 1985; 1998 edition: FHL CD-ROM.
- [Van Deventer] Vandevander, Paul J. and Ida Christobelle Van Deventer. The Van Deventer Family, 1550-1977. Parsons, W.Va.: McClain Print. Co., 1978. FHL Book 929.273 V286v.
- [Van Deventer] Arthaud, John Bradley and Catherine DeEtte Arthaud. The Mary Coberly and William Van Deventer Family of Pendleton and Randolph Counties, West Virginia, An Annotated Index to Paul J. Vandevander's The Van Deventer Family 1550-1977. Columbia, Mo., 1988. FHL Book 929.273 V286v index.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Pendleton County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Book 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
Pendleton County men served in the 46th Regiment.
Regiments. Service men in Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 18th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company E.
- - 25th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Heck's) (Confederate). Company E (Pendleton Rifles), Company F (Franklin Guards), and Company K (South Branch Riflemen).
Records, histories, and societies exist:
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Sons of Confederate Veterans, Brig. Gen. James Boggs' Camp # 1706
Dewayne Borror, Commander
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 7th WV Infantry Camp #7
P.O. Box 622
Franklin, WV 26807
- West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991.
P.O. Box 906
Franklin, WV 26807-0906
Pendleton County, West Virginia 1788 - 1970 Will Books
West Virginia Will Books
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Pendleton County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1976):119-123. FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- 1792, 1802 - Images of the 1792 and 1802 Personal Property Tax Lists of Pendleton County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available to browse online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
- 1815 -Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL Books 975 E4w v. 5-v. 6. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Pendleton County is included in Vols. 5 and 6.]
Societies and Libraries
Pendleton County Historical Society
Post Office Box 293
Franklin, West Virginia 26807
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- Family Links
- Fort Seybert Heritage Education Association
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Pendleton County Links
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- History and Genealogy History and Genealogy
- West Virginia Mountain Highlands
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pendleton County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 167. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.
- Roger U. Delauter, 18th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1985). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 18.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 25th Virginia Infantry and 9th Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1990). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 71.