Pendleton Hall, Lancashire Genealogy
PENDLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccles, borough, union, and hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Manchester; containing 11,032 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Pen-hulton, was held by the Hultons, of Hulton, at first under the earls Ferrers, but afterwards in chief of the king. The lands have been subsequently in the possession of various families. The chapelry is situated on the Irwell, and at the junction of the Liverpool and Bolton roads to Manchester: the Bolton and Bury canal, and the Manchester and Liverpool, and Manchester and Bolton railways, also pass through it. In 1780 the village was little more than a cluster of cottages, with its maypole and its green; it is now an opulent and extensive suburb of Salford, abounds in mansions, and contains large cotton-mills, and dyeing, printing, and bleaching establishments, affording, with handicraft trades, and collieries, employment to its large population. A small library was established in 1829, and a dispensary in 1831. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Eccles; net income, £344. The chapel, rebuilt at the joint expense of the inhabitants and the Parliamentary Commissioners, was consecrated in October, 1831. It is a conspicuous and ornamented structure in the pointed style, and contains 1520 pew-sittings, of which 700 are free, exclusively of several hundred free seats on forms: in front of the altar is a splendid picture by Paul Veronese, representing the Taking Down of Christ from the Cross, liberally presented by John Greaves, Esq., of Pendleton. The cost of the re-erection of the chapel was £7505. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion. Hylewood, an oblong hillock in the chapelry, was supposed to exhibit marks of a Roman camp; but subsequent examination, in digging the foundation of Hylewood Tower, has shown that this eminence consists merely of the red rocky sandstone of the district.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.