Pendleton St Thomas (Salford), Lancashire Genealogy
Pendleton St Thomas (Salford) was created a chapel of ease by 1767 from, and lying within the boundaries of Eccles Ancient Parish.
It was founded in 1767 as a chapel of ease, but on the site of St Ann's. The chapel was built in 1773. The building was used as a church until 1829, by this time the population in the area had quadrupled to around 8,000 when a newer bigger church was required. St Thomas' church replaced the chapel and it was opened in 1831.
The current church was built in 1829–31 to the design of Francis Goodwin and Richard Lane.
Here is an1848 historical perspective on Pendleton St Thomas, by the topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:
"PENDLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccles, borough, union, and hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Manchester. The main chapel, was built and in operation by the year 1776.
There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Methodists of the New Connexion."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Church of England
Pendleton St Thomas chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Eccles to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|PENDLETON ST THOMAS Chapelry (1776) Indexes|
|ECCLES ST MARY PARISH (1563) Indexes (ancient parish containing PENDLETON ST THOMAS Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Pendleton and comprising the whole ancient parish of Eccles to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the ECCLES ST MARY PARISH page.
Parish registers for St. Thomas' Church, Pendleton near Salford, 1776-1836
| Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1776-1836.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
Bishop's transcripts for Pendleton, 1813-1820 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
St. Thomas in Pendleton is a chapelry in the parish of Eccles.
Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/108a
| Baptisms and burials, 1813-1820
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1545555 Item 2
Pendleton- St Thomas
Baptisms-1776-1780- MFPR 139 or 2237
Baptisms-1780-1787- MFPR 139
Baptisms-1776-1856- MFPR 139 or 2237-2240
Baptisms-1856-1858- MFPR 1612
Baptisms-1858-1862- MFPR 1612 or 2241
Baptisms-1862-1910- MFPR 1612-1613
Baptisms-1910-1969- MFPR 1614
Burials-1776-1860- MFPR 139
Burials-1860-1968- MFPR 1621
Marriages-1839-1894- MFPR 1615
Marriages-1894-1908- MFPR 1616
Marriages-1908-1922- MFPR 1617
Marriages-1922-1939- MFPR 1618
Marriages-1939-1950- MFPR 1619
Marriages-1950-1970- MFPR 1620
Marriages-1970-1991- Archives L186
The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306898.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 525-530. Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010