Difference between revisions of "Penley, Wrexham"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (ext links)
m
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Wales]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[County Borough of Wrexham|Wrexham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] Penley  
+
[[Wales]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[County Borough of Wrexham|Wrexham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] Penley  
  
[[Image:St Mary Magdalene Penley Wrecsam.jpg|thumb|right]]  
+
[[Image:St Mary Magdalene Penley Wrecsam.jpg|thumb|right|St Mary Magdalene Penley]]  
  
'''Penley''' (Welsh: ''Llannerch Banna'') is a village and ecclesiastical parish in the [[County Borough of Wrexham]] in [[Wales]], close to the border with [[Shropshire]], [[England]]. Today Penley is in the [[Communities in Wales|community]] of '''Maelor South'''.  
+
'''Penley''' (Welsh: '''Llannerch Banna''') is a village and ecclesiastical parish in the [[County Borough of Wrexham]] in [[Wales]], close to the border with [[Shropshire]], [[England]]. Today Penley is in the [[Communities in Wales|community]] of '''Maelor South'''.  
  
 
== History  ==
 
== History  ==
Line 79: Line 79:
 
|}
 
|}
  
However, the registers are not complete. <br>
+
However, the registers are not complete.
  
 
The [http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/ Clwyd Family History Society] have published the following Penley parish registers:  
 
The [http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/ Clwyd Family History Society] have published the following Penley parish registers:  
Line 147: Line 147:
 
== See also  ==
 
== See also  ==
  
&nbsp;
+
&nbsp;  
  
 
== Bibliography  ==
 
== Bibliography  ==
Line 156: Line 156:
  
 
*[http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SJ41554005 Ordnance Survey map of Penley]  
 
*[http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SJ41554005 Ordnance Survey map of Penley]  
*[http://www.cpat.demon.co.uk/projects/longer/churches/wrexham/15845.htm Penley Parish Church] at CPAT
+
*[http://www.cpat.demon.co.uk/projects/longer/churches/wrexham/15845.htm Penley Parish Church] at CPAT  
*[http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/cofadeiladau/penley_wm.htm Penley War Memorial] at Clwyd FHS
+
*[http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/cofadeiladau/penley_wm.htm Penley War Memorial] at Clwyd FHS  
*[http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/penley.htm Penley Parish Church] at Clwyd FHS
+
*[http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/penley.htm Penley Parish Church] at Clwyd FHS  
*[http://www.openchurchnetwork.co.uk/churches.asp?cid=27 Penley Parish Church] at the Open Church Network
+
*[http://www.openchurchnetwork.co.uk/churches.asp?cid=27 Penley Parish Church] at the Open Church Network  
 
*[http://www.sacred-space.org.uk/visuallightshow/penley/penley.html Penley Parish Church] at Sacred Spaces
 
*[http://www.sacred-space.org.uk/visuallightshow/penley/penley.html Penley Parish Church] at Sacred Spaces
 
  
 
[[Category:Wrexham]] [[Category:Flintshire]]
 
[[Category:Wrexham]] [[Category:Flintshire]]

Revision as of 15:10, 6 December 2012

Wales Gotoarrow.png Wrexham Gotoarrow.png Penley

St Mary Magdalene Penley

Penley (Welsh: Llannerch Banna) is a village and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham in Wales, close to the border with Shropshire, England. Today Penley is in the community of Maelor South.

History

The village was until 1974 in an exclave of the historic county of Flintshire known as Maelor Saesneg (English: English-speaking Maelor), sometimes called "Flintshire Detached"

Penley was originally part of the neighbouring English parish of Ellesmere in Shropshire, but it became a separate parish towards the end of the Commonwealth period. In early 1661 it reverted to being part of the parish of Ellesmere until 1860, when it again became a separate parish.

The parish church of St. Mary Magdalene was originally built around 1538 as a chapel of ease to Ellesmere. The original timber structure was replaced by a brick one in 1793 but this was demolished in 1893. The current church was completed in 1899.

Penley remained part of the English Diocese of Lichfield until 1920 when, following the disestablishment Church in Wales, it was transferred to the Welsh Diocese of St Asaph.

Administration

Years County
1284 - 31 March 1974 Flintshire (detached)
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Wrexham

Census Records

The parish of Overton formed part of the Ellesmere Registrar's District.

Year Parts
1841
1851
1861
1871
1881
1891
1901

Church Records

The following Penley Parish Registers have been deposited at the Flintshire Records Office in Hawarden:

Baptisms: 1752-1812 & 1873-1968
Marriages: 1753 & 1867-1970
Burials: 1753-1923

However, the registers are not complete.

The Clwyd Family History Society have published the following Penley parish registers:

Volume Baptisms Marriages Burials
1 1657-1812 1753 1659-1812
2 1813-1864

The following records are available on the IGI:

Type Years Batch Number
Baptisms 1813-1837 C035841

Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1663;1752-1896 Marr 1752-1812 Bur 1752-1896 Missing all events 1850;1864-1872

Nonconformist Church Records

 

Civil Records

Births, marriages and deaths in Penley are recorded in the GRO indexes as:

Years Sub-district District Volumes
1 Jul 1837 - 1935 Overton Ellesmere XVIII (1837-51)
6a (1852-1935)

Poor Law Union

Penley was part of the Ellesmere Union, which was created on 14 November 1836. The workhouse was built in Haughton, Ellesmere. The records for the Ellesmere Union are held at Shropshire Record Office in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.

Cemeteries

 

See also

 

Bibliography

 

External links