| Pennsylvania State Archives
General Mailing Address:
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
State Museum Building
300 North Street
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Pennsylvania State Archives
350 North Street
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Phone: (717) 783-3281
Fax: (717) 787-4822
- Wednesday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m (no original records pulled from 12.00-1.00pm)
- Saturday ( microfilm use only ), 9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and State Holidays.
Directions, Maps, and Public Transportation
Internet sites and databases:
The Pennsylvania State Archives collects, preserves and makes available for study the permanently-valuable public records of the Commonwealth, with particular attention given to the records of state government. The State Archives also collects papers of private citizens and organizations relevant to Pennsylvania history.
- Collections The Pennsylvania State Archives is the best source for Military Records, Naturalization Records, Vital Records, Ships List, Census Records, Prison Records, Mine Accidents, State Land Records, and Pennsylvania Railroad Voluntary Relief Cards.
- A finding aid is available for Record Groups, Manuscript Groups, and Historic Site Collections.
- Land Records which were issued by the proprietors can be found at the archives or on-line. First check the Warrant Registers. The Warrant Registers index the warrant number, patent and survey.
- According to recordsbase.com, archived files are available through the Pennsylvania State Archives, which holds a wealth of historic information about the state. This office has original copies of birth and death certificates dating prior to 1961, as well as records from previous wars, land records and census records. *Searches of these files can be initiated in person, by mail or fax or through email. There are charges for the time spent on research, as well as for the copies of the documents you request.
- Baumann, Roland M., and Whipkey, Harry E. Guide to the microfilm of the records of Pennsylvania's Revolutionary governments, 1775-1790. Harrisburg: Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, 1978. FHL book 974.8 N23g; At various libraries (WorldCat)
- Fortna, Nancy L.P. Guide to county and municipal records on microfilm in the Pennsylvania State Archives, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, 1982 FHL book 974.8 A1 no. 613; At various libraries (WorldCat)
- Guide to the microfilm of the records of the Provincial Council, 1682-1776, in the Pennsylvania State Archives. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, 1966. FHL book 974.8 N23p; At various libraries (WorldCat)
- Suran, Frank M. Guide to the Record Groups in the Pennsylvania State Archives. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, c1980 FHL book 974.818/H1 J53s; At various libraries (WorldCat)
- Whipkey, Harry E. Guide to the manuscript groups in the Pennsylvania State Archives. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, 1976 FHL book 974.818/H1 J53w; At various libraries (WorldCat)