Difference between revisions of "Perry County, Missouri Genealogy"
(added church intro)
(Added MO Newspaper Record repositories template)
|Line 77:||Line 77:|
==== Military ====
==== Military ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 15:39, 17 June 2013
Guide to Perry County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Perry County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||November 16, 1820|
|Address|| Perry County Courthouse|
321 N Main Street
Perryville, MO 63775
Perry County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, land, probate and court records;
County Recorder has marriage and military records; County Clerk
has birth and death records 1883-1893 and naturalization records
- See an interactive map of Perry County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Cape Girardeau
- Jackson County, Illinois
- Randolph County, Illinois
- St. Francois
- Ste. Genevieve
- Union County, Illinois
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Perry County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Map of Perry County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Perry County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Perry County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1868, 1883-1892 - Perry County Birth Index, Volumes 1 and 2, 1868, 1883-1892 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1825-1830 - Perry County Marriage Index 1825-1830. Batch M515573 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1830-1867 - Perry County Marriage Index 1830-1867. Batch M515571 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867-1888 - Perry County Marriage Index 1867-1888. Batch M515572 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1890 - Perry County Death Index, Volume 1, 1883-1890 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
The Lutheran Heritage Center and Museum
P.O. Box 53
75 Church Street
Altenburg, Missouri 63732
Daily 10:00am - 4:00 pm
You may also be interested in their tutorial, Building a German Genealogy Library, at the FamilySearch Learning Center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Perry County, Missouri. Page 404 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.