Peterborough (St John the Baptist), Northamptonshire Genealogy
PETERBOROUGH (St. John the Baptist), acity having separate jurisdiction, theseat of a diocese, and thehead of a union and of the hundred of Nassaburgh, or liberty of Peterborough, in the N. division of the county of Northampton, 42 miles (N. E. by E.) from Northampton, and 79 (N. by W.) from London; containing, with the precinct of Minster-close, and exclusively of the chapelries of Dogsthorpe, Eastfield with Newark, and Longthorpe, in that part of the parish which is without the city. 
Peterborough (St John the Baptist) is an Ancient Parish mostly in Northamptonshire and partly in Cambridgeshire. Other places in this parish include:
- Old Newark
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
View Anglican Church Records in our catalog.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 1849-1855 on FHL Film # 0087027 Item 21
- Independent Westgate 1810-1837 on FHL Film # 825344 Item 2
- Wesleyan Church 1822-1837 on FHL Film # 825344 Item 3
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438883.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Northamptonshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 558-564. Date accessed: 04 March 2013.