Difference between revisions of "Pettis County, Missouri Genealogy"
m (added Link, removed stub template)
|Line 42:||Line 42:|
==== Neighboring Counties ====
==== Neighboring Counties ====
[[Benton County, Missouri|Benton]]
[[Cooper County, Missouri|Cooper]]
[[Henry County, Missouri|Henry]]
[[Johnson County, Missouri|Johnson]]
[[Lafayette County, Missouri|Lafayette]]
[[Morgan County, Missouri|Morgan]]
[[Saline County, Missouri|Saline]]
== Resources ==
== Resources ==
Revision as of 16:45, 25 March 2014
Guide to Pettis County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pettis County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 26, 1833|
|Address|| Pettis County Courthouse|
415 S Ohio Avenue
Sedalia, MO 65301; Phone 660.826.5395
Pettis County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Recorder Deeds has marriage and land records from 1833;
Probate Court has probate records from 1833; Clerk Circuit
has court records
- See an interactive map of Pettis County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. John's, Bahner
- 1846-1876 - St. John's, Bahner, Baptism Index 1846-1876. Batch C511881 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - St. John's, Bahner, Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M511881 at FamilySearch - free.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- St. Louis
- St. Louis N.
- St. Louis S.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Pettis County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Demuth's The History of Pettis County, Missouri... (1882) is available on Google Books.a
- Family Maps of Pettis County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Pettis County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Pettis County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Pettis County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pettis County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Sedalia newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's that covered local news on Pettis County residents as well as residents from surrounding counties.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1865-1884 - Pettis County Marriage Index 1865-1884. Batch M515581 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1885 - Pettis County Marriage Index 1884-1885. Batch M515582 at FamilySearch - free.
- Pettis County, Missouri, Marriages, performed in 1891, listed in the Sedalia Weekly Bazoo Newspaper.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Pettis County, Missouri Genealogy Trails. http://genealogytrails.com/mo/pettis/index.html
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pettis County, Missouri. Page 404 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.