Piatt County, Illinois Genealogy
|Piatt County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 27, 1841|
|Address|| 101 West Washington Street|
Monticello, IL 61856
|Named for: James A. Piatt|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county as named for James A. Piatt, Sr. who settled in the area of the present county in 1829. He came from Indian.
- 1841--Piatt County was created 27 January 1841 from DeWitt and Macon Counties. County seat: Monticello 
1801-1812 St. Clair
1790-1801 Knox, Northwest Territory
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
Illinois State Universtiy (ISU)
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Piatt County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Piatt Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Piatt County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Piatt County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
1841-1911 Circuit Court Record - IRAD-ISU
1854-1878 Circuit Court Dockets - IRAD-ISU
1859-1878 Circuit Court Default Judgement Record - IRAD-ISU
1841-1918 Deed Index -IRAD-ISU
1840-1931 Deed Records -IRAD-ISU
18861-1874 Chattel Mortgage Records -IRAD-ISU
1865-1891 Mortgage Record - IRAD-ISU
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Piatt County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Piatt County.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company D.
1858-1872 Naturalization Record, Circuit Court -IRAD-ISU
1864-1880 Naturalization Record Final, Circuit Court - IRAD-ISU
1864-1880 Naturalization Record Final, County Court - IRAD-ISU
1864-1888 Naturalization Record of Soldiers and Minors, Couty Court -IRAD-ISU
1870-1880 Naturalization Record of Minors, Circuit Court - IRAD-ISU
1888-1901 Naturaliation of Minors, County Court -IRAD-ISU
1843-1901 Probate Record - IRAD-ISU
1850-1961 Probate Will Record - IRAD-ISY
1859-1915 Probate Guardian's Record - IRAD-ISU
1861-1869 Probate Inventory, Appraisement and Sale Record - IRAD-ISU
1869-1905 Probate Inventory Record - IRAD-ISU
1835-1854 Taxable Lands Lists - IRAD-ISU
1863-1936 Birth Certificates, Delayed IRAD-ISU
1877-1916 Birth Record IRAD -ISU
1877-1974 Birth Record Index IRAD-ISU
Societies and Libraries
Databases Pertinent to Piatt County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).