Difference between revisions of "Platte County, Missouri Genealogy"
(added church intro)
(Added MO Newspaper Record repositories template)
|Line 120:||Line 120:|
==== Military ====
==== Military ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 15:42, 17 June 2013
Guide to Platte County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Platte County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 31, 1838|
|County Seat||Platte City|
|Address|| Platte County Courthouse|
415 3rd Street
PO Box 30CH
Platte City, MO 64079
Platte County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth records 1883-1887
and death records 1883-1888; Recorder Deeds
has marriage and land records; Clerk Circuit
Court has divorce records; Probate Judge
has probate and court records
- See an interactive map of Platte County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Camden Point
- Houston Lake
- Lake Waukomis
- Platte City
- Platte Woods
- Weatherby Lake
For tips on accessing Platte County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- 1847-1853 - Deister Settlement Catholic Church Baptism Index 1847-1853. Batch C515021 at FamilySearch - free.
Holy Trinity Teeleum Landeing, Weston
- 1847-1876 - Holy Trinity Teeleum Landeing, Weston, Baptism Index 1847-1876. Batch C515031 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1848-1885 - Holy Trinity Teeleum Landeing, Weston, Baptism Index 1848-1885. Batch M515031 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Platte County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- William McClung Paxton's Annals of Platte County, Missouri, pub 1897, 1182 pages. A digital copy is searchable online using Google Books and FamilySearch (warning: downloads as a large file in a viewer). Also available as FHL 1000300.
- Map of Platte County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Platte County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Early migration routes to and from Platte County, Missouri Genealogy for European settlers included:
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Platte County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1839-1882 - Platte County Marriage Index 1839-1882. Batch M515611 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Platte County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515612 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Northland Genelogical Society
Mid-Continent Public Libraries in Platte City, Weston, and several locations in Southern Platte County.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Platte County, Missouri. Page 404 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
- National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).