Pleasant Grove Utah Grove Creek Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Everyone is welcome to visit our center. Our temple and family history center director is Richard Chamberland who can be reached at 1-801-885-9862 (or firstname.lastname@example.org ) for tours or special appointments.
Location and Map:
- 1176 N 730 E, Pleasant Grove UT 84062 United States
- Enter through Southwest entrance. The Family History Center is the second door to the left off the foyer. If the outside door is locked, push the button on the com-unit on the upper right side of the door. This will alert the consultants in the library that you are there. Someone will communicate with you thru that unit and will let you into the building.
- Location on Map
Phone: 1 801-796-4511
Special Note for Groups:
- We request that reservations be made for groups larger than 3 people so that we may have adequate staffing available when you arrive. Please call to reserve and leave a message if you are calling outside of regular hours. We will return your call as soon as we receive your message. Laptops are welcome and encouraged in our center.
- Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday: 9:00 am-Noon and evenings 6:00 pm-9:00 pm
- Sunday: evenings only: 6:00 pm-9:00 pm
Holiday Schedule: Closed on General Conference weekends and the following holidays:
- Easter - Sunday April 16, 2017
- Mother’s Day - Sunday May 14, 2017
- Father’s Day - Sunday June 18, 2017
- Independence Day - Tuesday July 4, 2017
- Thanksgiving Holiday - Tuesday November 21st thru Monday November 27th
- Christmas Holiday - Tuesday December 19th thru January 1st, 2018
- SPECIAL SUMMER CLASSES:
- Starting on Tuesday mornings, (June 6th 10:30 to 11:30 am) Sister Judy Wilcox will teach free classes for all interested individuals. The classes will be taught in the Family History Center each Tuesday morning
- June 6: "What’s New on FamilySearch.org"
- June 13: "Using the Family Search Partners"
- June 20: "Using Puzilla.org to Find Temple Names"
- June 27: "Improve Your Search Techniques"
- July 4 is a HOLIDAY – no class (sorry)
- July 11: "Family Tree Memories – add photos, stories, etc."
- July 18: "Using Military Records to Find Ancestor Data"
- July 25 – sorry, instructor will be out of state – no class
- August 1 – still on vacation! – no class
- August 8 – flying home tonight – still no class ☹ (might do a bonus Wednesday class this week)
- August 15: "Lean About Your Ancestors via Newspapers"
- August 22: "What's in a census?"
- August 29: "Death and Cemetery Records"
- Sister Wilcox has also arranged to teach a series of classes on Danish Family History! (She is like the energizer bunny of genealogy!)
- She is proposing to teach 4-5 classes on Thursday evenings starting on June 15th. (6:00 to 7:00 pm)
- Sister Wilcox has over 40 years of research experience and has accumulated a wonderful store of genealogy research knowledge. Please join us for some or all of the classes and take your genealogy efforts to the next level.
Purposes of Center Resources:
1. Provide Family History Consultation to local members, other local residents, and more distant
individuals and organizations.
2. Provide a means to order and to read fiche and microfilm from the Family History Library.
3. Support members in compiling their 4 generation pedigrees.
4. Support members who choose to research their families beyond 4 generations.
5. Provide support, materials and guides to local sources foir writing stories (histories) of pioneers and other local people.
6. Support and coordinate indexing of local family history records.
7. Cooperate with other local record keeping, historical and lineage organizations
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Catalog of holdings of the Center
- Books - 1. General genealogic textbooks
- 2. Reference books - Gazetteers, dictionaries
- 3. Genealogic data sources - Black's book on Nauvoo people
- 4. Indexes - Index to people in the Pleasant Grove Review
- Fiche - General topics as supplied by the FHL
- 1. Pleasant Grove Burials.
- 2. Early Pleasant Grove LDS Membership Records.
- 3. Micro-film copies of early Pleasant Grove newpaper - Pleasant Grove Review.
- 4. Burials and early LDS Memberhip records for nearby areas of Northern Utah County.
- 5. Scattered records for other places in Utah.
- 6. A few records for other US states.
- 7. International films depend on the interests of patrons. Some examples are from Germany, Switzerland and Italy (click here for list of films on permanent loan)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Personal Family History Programs
- 1. Rootsmagic
- 2. Legacy
- 3. Anccestral Quest
- 5. Family Insight
- 6. No Mac programs are in the center
Hardware and Equipment
This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
8 computers :
2 fiche readers :
2 bw printers, one with scanning capability [note: we do not have the ability to print from microfilm or microfiche, however you can bring a digital camera]
Staff Research Specialties
Ileen Strasburg: Croatia, Hungary, Serbia, FamilySearch, Roots Magic 7, Southeast Europe
Julie Wilcox: US Research, Denmark, Descendancy, FamilySearch.
Becky Bradshaw: German, FamilySearch.
Cliff & Janet Ross: Sweden, FamilySearch.
Rich Chamberland: French Canadian, Ancestry.com, FamilySearch
Ray Maxwell: England, US Research, FamilySearch
Tim Sebra: France, FamilySearch,
Sherie Christansen: Early American, Pioneer heritage, Roots Magic
Ann Wagstaff: England, Scotland, US Research, Roots Magic
Michelle Templeman: French, Spanish, Italian, French Canadian, FamilySearch
Hilga Frier: US Research
Roy Johnson: Missouri, Texas, Beginning Computing & Networking
Whit & Lisa Roberts: FamilySearch, Ancestry.com, Indexing
Resources in the Local Area
Ability to interface with local Daughters of Utah Pioneers Camps.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)