Poland Tips for Polish American Researchers

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Poland Page

Research by mail

Records for the last 100 years may be obtained by contacting the consular division of the Embassy of Poland. However these records are confidential and restricted to authorized applicants: registrant, mother, father, sister, brother, son and daughter, legal guardian, individual with a court order authorizing the release of the record or individual who demonstrates legal interest.

If you are not an authorized person, you must provide a notarized letter from an authorized person advising  that the Embassy may release the record to you. All requests must include a certified copy of one valid ID from the applicant and (if necessary) supporting documents.

Click here to enter the Embassy's site. Click on Consulate and then choose the VITAL STATISTIC DOCUMENTS link. You will be able to download applications for copies of birth, marriage and death certificates with the instructions on how to proceed. You will not receive a copy of the actual historical document but a typed official certificate.

Birth, death and marriage records older than 100 years are public records.

However, most  Polish family history research still requires that you write to the parish for genealogical records. Please refer to the Letter Writing Guide for detailed information.

Some records of Poland are coming online. Please see this link