Pontotoc County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Pontotoc County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Pontotoc County Courthouse
PO Box 209;
Pontotoc, MS 38863-0209;
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records. Clerk Chancery
Court has probate, court, and divorce records and land records from 1836. 
1836--Pontotoc County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Pontotoc 
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Pontotoc County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Pontotoc County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pontotoc County.
- - 1st Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Miller's)
- Company B - Pontotoc Dragoons
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Polk Rangers
- Company I - Pontotoc Dragoons
- Company K - Pontotoc Dragoons No. 2
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company C - Reub Davis Rebels
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry (Harris's)
- Company A - Weatherall’s Company
- Company B - Wood’s Company
- Company C - Rye’s Compay
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - Pontotoc Rangers also Peery’s Company (county of origin not specified)
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company D - Wilson’s Company
- Company E - Mississippi Rangers
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company G – Pontotoc Minute Men
- Company H – Coonewah Rifles
- Company I – Cherry Creek Rifles
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Ashcraft's)
- Company B - Fears’ Company
- Company C - Patton’s Company
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company G -- Mississippi Volunteers
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company F - Duncan’s Company
- Company I - McKenzie’s Company, aka Young’s Company
- 1849-1918 - Pontotoc County Marriage Books 2-9 Index 1849-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pontotoc County, Mississippi page 382, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.