Poole Family History Centre, Dorset Genealogy
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Centre Contacts and Hours
- Address: 8 Mount Road, Parkstone, Poole BH14 0QW
- Access to the centre is via the rear entrance to the building from the car park
- Location on Map .
Phone: 01202 730646
- Tuesday: 9.30 am to 4.00 pm and 6:30pm to 9:00pm
- Wednesday: 9.30am to 12.00 noon only
- Thursday: 9.30 am to 12.00 noon and 6.30 pm to 9.00 pm
- NOTE We sometimes close early if no-one is in attendance.
It is always best to book an appointment to avoid disappointment.
Closed: 15th April to 25th April
Re-open: Tuesday 29th April
Closed: during the whole month of August 2014
Closed: 15th December 2014 until 6th Jan 2015
Re-open: Tuesday 6th January 2015
Family History Fair: "Get to know your family"
Saturday 29th November 2014 from 10.00am to 4.00pm
- Family History Library Catalog: This centre has the ability to receive an order for any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- If you order a specific film/fiche from the online film ordering website you will be informed if, as your designated FHC we already hold a copy of this film/fiche.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
The following are usually available:-
19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
Access Newspaper Archive
Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War
Research Database |Letters and Diaries |Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera
Find My Past
Fold3.com Previously known as Footnote.com
Godfrey Memorial Library
Heritage Quest Online
Historic Map Works Library Edition
World Vital Records
Hardware and Equipment
- 5 computers
- 1 networked laser printer (monochrome)
- 1 digital copy scanner/reader for film or fiche
- 3 microfilm readers
- 1 microfiche reader
- 1 flat bed scanner for books or single page documents
All these items are free to use, however please phone ahead of time to book equipment to avoid disappointment.