Pope County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Pope County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pope County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1862|
|Address|| Pope County Courthouse|
130 Minnesota Ave E
Glenwood, MN 56334
Pope County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk District Court has birth, marriage and death records from 1870,
divorce and court records from 1880 and probate records from 1867. 
- 1862--Pope County was created 20 February 1862 from Pierce (Eliminated 20 Feb 1862) and Cass Counties and unorganized territory.
County seat: Glenwood 
- For a brief history on Pope County's name, click here, then select Pope County.
Scandia Evangelical Lutheran Church, Cyrus
- Records of Scandia Evangelical Lutheran Church, Cyrus, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Brooten
- Records of Trinity Lutheran Church, Brooten, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
West Lake Johanna Lutheran Church, Brooten
- Records of West Lake Johanna Lutheran Church, Brooten, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Pope – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Pope County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- The Starbuck Study Club and Centennial History Book Committee. Starbuck, 1883-1983. 1983. Print.
- Family Maps of Pope County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pope County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pope County, Minnesota page 367, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.