Poplar All Saints, Middlesex Genealogy
'POPLAR (All Saints [registers begin in 1653]), formerly a hamlet with Blackwall, but now a parish, and the head of a union, in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, County of Middlesex, 3 miles easat by south of London.'
There are places of worship for Baptists, Presbyterians, Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics. The East India Hospital with a chapel was established for the maintenance of widows of officers and seamen in the East India Company's service.
A cemetery resides next to to All Saints Parish.
Churches and Chapels of Ease in Poplar All Saints Civil Parish
Here is a list of additional district churches and chapels within the civil parish of All Saints Poplar. The ancient parish of Poplar All Saints, Newby Place, East India Dock Road was consecrated in 1653 as a chapel-of-ease built by the East India Company in the High Street. It became a separate parish out of Stepney 1821, with new parish church on new site to which registers were transferred from the old chapel, now named St.Matthias [see below]. All Saints' is still open [by 1958 described as being w.St.Nicholas Blackwall and S.Frideswide East India Dock Road]; 1971 united with St. Michael & All Angels Bromley and Poplar St. Saviour w.S.Gabriel & S.Stephen to form Parish of Poplar. Youngs "The Parishes of England", gives 1817 as the date of the new parish, but the building was complete and the registers begin June 1821.
The district churches and chapels found within the borders of All Saints were as follows:
- All Hallows. Bromley by Bow (Devons Rd) - 1874
- All Hallows. East India Dock Road - 1879
- Christ Church, Manchester Road, Isle of Dogs  - still open
- St Andrew Bromley by Bow - 1901
- Poplar, St Frideswide East India Dock Road/Lodore Street (1904) bombed WW2, closed 1947, not re-built, parish united to All Saints 1952.
- St Gabriel South Bromley Chrisp Street - 1869
- St John, Isle of Dogs - 1872
- Poplar, St John, Manchester Road, Cubitt Town  now gone?? -1952 parish united with Christ Church
- Poplar, St. Luke, Strafford Street, Milwall  bombed and demolished, worship in new hall-church, 1952 parish united with Christ Church St Michael & All Angels. Bromley by Bow - 1864
- St Mark. Victoria Park - 1872
- St Mary Stratford atte Bow - 1719
- St Mary the Virgin Bromley-St Leonard 12th century
- Poplar, St. Matthias, High Street  enclosed East India Company Chapel of 1776 replacing chapel of 1654; a chapel of ease to Stepney until 1817, in Poplar All Saints until 1867, when gained separate parish and registers re-commence: when in 1823 All Saints became the parish church the registers had gone to All Saints. As chapel, licensed for baptisms and burials from opening in 1653, but marriages ceased from 1754 (Hardwicke's Act) until became a parish church in 1867. Marriages take place in Stepney 1754-1821, and in All Saints 1821-1967. Still open 1966. Derelict by 1976, renovated 1991 as a community centre - there is a long description of this church in the "London Docklands" edition (1998) in Pevsner's "The Buildings of England"
- Poplar, St Nicholas, Blackwall Stairs (Yabsley Street) (1900) bombed 1940 and closed 1941, not rebuilt. Mission Church in All Saints East India Dock Road. United with All Hallows, Abbott Road 1955 to form All Hallows, Aberfeldy Street.
- St Paul. Old Ford - 1878
- St Peter. Garford St .Limehouse - 1885
- St Stephen, North Bow. (Tredegar Rd) - 1827
- Poplar, St. Saviour, Northumberland Street [later Northumbria Street]  1952 united with Bromley St. Gabriel & Poplar St. Stephen. 1971 united parish united to All Saints, Poplar. 1975 church closed?
- Poplar, St. Stephen, East India Road  1952 united to Poplar S.Saviour and Bromley St. Gabriel
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Samuel Lewis, ed. A Topographical Dictionary of England 593-596. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 03 May 2010). Adapted
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as All Saints, Poplar in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Poplar All Saints in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Poplar All Saints in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Poplar All Saints in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'Online Parish Register Search,' ParishRegister.com, accessed 12 March 2012.
- Batch M151071, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm