Portage County, Ohio Genealogy
|Portage County, Ohio|
Location in the state of Ohio
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Portage County Courthouse|
203 West Main St
Ravenna, Ohio 44266
United States Ohio Portage County
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Education
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogy
- 2.13 History
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Periodicals
- 2.21 Probate
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Trumbull County in 1808.
- County Seat: Ravenna
- Neighboring Counties: Portage County, Ohio Genealogyresidents may also have records in Geauga (north) · Stark (south) · Summit (west) · Mahoning (southeast) · Trumbull (east)
See an interactive map of Portage County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
- Kent State University Yearbooks - approximately 1914-1985 yearbooks are freely available on the Internet Archive
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War service men from Portage County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Portage County.
- -1st Regiment, Ohio Light Artillery, Batteries A, D, and I.
- - 104th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies D and I
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- Ohio GenWeb: Portage County - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Wikipedia contributors, "Portage County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).