Portugal, Castelo Branco, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Portugal, Castelo Branco, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1911 .
- 1 Image Visibility
- 2 Title in the Language of the Record
- 3 Record Description
- 4 Record Content
- 5 How to Use the Record
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Related Websites
- 8 Related Wiki Articles
- 9 Contributions to This Article
- 10 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The Portugal, Castelo Branco, Catholic Church Records collection is available only to the members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These images are available on microfilm for viewing at a FamilySearch Center; for instructions, see Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche.
Title in the Language of the Record
Portugal, Castelo Branco, Registros da Igreja Católica
This Collection will include records from 1714 to 1911.
Copies of baptism, marriage, and burial records created by Catholic parishes in the district of Castelo Branco. Additional images will be published as they become available.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Portugal, Castelo Branco, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1911" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013.
Most baptismal records contain:
- Date and place of baptism
- Name and gender of child
- Child's date and place of birth
- Father's name, occupation and origin
- Mother's maiden name, and origin
- Names of paternal grandparents
- Names of maternal grandparents
Most marriage records contain:
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of the groom and bride
- Groom's age, civil status, occupation and origin
- Groom's date and place of baptism
- Names of groom's parents
- Bride's age, civil status, occupation and origin
- Bride's date and place of baptism
- Names of bride's parents
- Names of the witnesses
Most death records contain:
- Name, age and gender of deceased
- Date and place of death
- Civil status and and place of origin
- Spouse's name, if married
- Parents' names, if deceased is a minor
- Names of children
- Burial information
How to Use the Record
To search this collection
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "District" where you ancestors lived
⇒Select the appropriate "Municipality"
⇒Select the appropriate "Civil Parish"
⇒Select the appropriate "Parish"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type and Years" and you will see images of those records.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
When browsing this collection it is helpful to know the following:
- The place where the event occurred
- The name and surname of the person
- The approximate date of the event
- The name of the parents or spouse
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: [ https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https://familysearch.org/records/collection/2013604/waypoints Portugal, Castelo Branco, Catholic Church Records, 1714-1911]
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.