Difference between revisions of "Poulton le Fylde, Lancashire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
+
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|RTENOTITLE]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|RTENOTITLE]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
 
Here's a [[List of Chapelries in the Parish of Poulton le Fylde]]  
 
Here's a [[List of Chapelries in the Parish of Poulton le Fylde]]  
  
[[Image:St_Chad's_Church,_Poulton-le-Fylde.jpeg|thumb|right|Poulton le Fylde St Chad]]
+
[[Image:St Chad's Church, Poulton-le-Fylde.jpeg|thumb|right|Poulton le Fylde St Chad]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
Line 11: Line 11:
 
Other places in the parish include: Carleton, Fleetwood, Fleetwood on Wyre, Stanah, Great Carleton, Hardhorn with Newton, Little Carleton, and Great and Little Carleton.  
 
Other places in the parish include: Carleton, Fleetwood, Fleetwood on Wyre, Stanah, Great Carleton, Hardhorn with Newton, Little Carleton, and Great and Little Carleton.  
  
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.<br>  
+
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.<br>
  
 
Here is a unique 1848 historical perspective of this parish by topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:  
 
Here is a unique 1848 historical perspective of this parish by topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:  
  
"POULTON-IN-THE-FYLDE (St. Chad), a markettown and parish, in the union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire; containing, with the new town of Fleetwood, and the townships of Carleton, Hardhorn with Newton, Marton, and Thornton, 7273 inhabitants, of whom 1128 are in the township of Poulton, 16 miles (W. N. W.) from Preston, 21 (S. W. by S.) from Lancaster, and 235 (N. W. by N.) from London. This place, called Poltun in the Domesday survey, appears to have belonged, about the time of that survey, to the priory of Lancaster; and in the 27th of Edward I., Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, and others held Pulton in trust for the priory. In 1342, a family of the local name possessed a small quantity of land in the parish. This is an extensive tract of champaign country, comprehending one-third, or more, of the hundred of Amounderness: the addition of "the Fylde," given to it to distinguish it from Poulton in Lonsdale, means a field, the district being celebrated for the growth of corn. The northern part is formed into a peninsula by the Irish Sea and the river Wyre, and that river, with the parish of Kirkham, bounds the parish on the east; while the Irish Sea and the parish of Bispham are the western boundaries. The area is 14,289 acres, of which 899a. 3r. 38p. are in Poulton township. The town is a small, irregular, and old-fashioned place, situated on an eminence rising gradually on every side, and one mile distant from the Wyre. It consists of seven streets, five of which are conjoined into the form of the letter I: the general lighting and watching act is partly in operation. Here is a station on the Preston and Fleetwood railway. Petty-sessions are held on the first Friday in each month; and one of the county debtcourts established in 1847 is fixed at Poulton, with powers extending over the registration-districts of The Fylde and Garstang. The market is on Monday; and fairs for cattle, cloth, and other commodities, are held on Feb. 3rd, April 13th, and Nov. 3rd. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 16. 8.; net income, £257; patron, the Rev. Charles Hesketh, M.A.; impropriators, Sir Peter Hesketh Fleetwood, Bart., and three others. The great tithes of Poulton township have been commuted for £94, and the small for £55: the vicar has a glebe of 12 acres. The church occupies the site of an ancient structure which, having stood for nearly seven centuries, was taken down in 1751, with the exception of the tower, that had been rebuilt in the time of Charles I., and remains attached to the modern edifice. At Fleetwood, Marton, and Thornton are other livings. The Wesleyans have a place of worship in the town, where also a Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was built in 1813; the priest has six acres of ground, and a house. The children of the township of Poulton have the privilege of attending an endowed school at Hardhorn, founded in 1717, by James Baines, who also bequeathed property now producing £100 per annum for apprenticing children, one moiety for those in Poulton township, and the other moiety for the children in the four other townships of the parish. A savings' bank was established in 1815, and a neat house built for it in 1839."
+
"POULTON-IN-THE-FYLDE St Chad, '''a '''markettown and '''''parish''''', in the union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire; containing, with the new town of Fleetwood, and the townships of Carleton, Hardhorn with Newton, Marton, and Thornton, 16 miles west by northwest&nbsp;of&nbsp;Preston.&nbsp;At Fleetwood, Marton, and Thornton are other livings.  
  
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 602-605. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51221 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
+
The Wesleyans have a place of worship in the town, where also a Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was built in 1813."<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 602-605.&amp;nbsp;Adapted.&amp;nbsp;Date accessed: 20 July 2010.</ref>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 25: Line 25:
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
+
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>
  
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
  
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>  
+
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 39: Line 39:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
  
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
  
 
[[Fylde Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]  
 
[[Fylde Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]  
Line 49: Line 49:
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 64: Line 64:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>  
+
== Reference<br> ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 02:52, 14 March 2012

England RTENOTITLE Lancashire RTENOTITLE Lancashire Parishes

Here's a List of Chapelries in the Parish of Poulton le Fylde

Poulton le Fylde St Chad

Parish History

Poulton le Fylde St Chad is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the Amounderness deanery of the Dioces of manchester since 1847 and in the county of Lancashire.

Other places in the parish include: Carleton, Fleetwood, Fleetwood on Wyre, Stanah, Great Carleton, Hardhorn with Newton, Little Carleton, and Great and Little Carleton.

The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.

Here is a unique 1848 historical perspective of this parish by topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:

"POULTON-IN-THE-FYLDE St Chad, a markettown and parish, in the union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire; containing, with the new town of Fleetwood, and the townships of Carleton, Hardhorn with Newton, Marton, and Thornton, 16 miles west by northwest of Preston. At Fleetwood, Marton, and Thornton are other livings.

The Wesleyans have a place of worship in the town, where also a Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was built in 1813."[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Fylde Poor Law Union, Lancashire


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 602-605.&nbsp;Adapted.&nbsp;Date accessed: 20 July 2010.