Preston England Family History Centre
|This Family History Centre article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Preston England Family History Centre is located on the Preston England Temple site, adjacent to Junction 8 of the M61 at Chorley, Lancashire. It is staffed by members of the Chorley England Stake.
Location & Map:
- Temple Way, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6 7EQ.
- Once on the Temple site, the Family History Centre is signposted and there is plenty of free parking, including dedicated disabled parking, in front of the Family HIstory Centre and at busy times on other areas of the site.
- (Link to map using Google or other map sites)
Phone: 01257 226145
Open Hours: Monday 10 am - 2 pm; Tuesday 10 am - 5 pm; Wednesday 10 am - 9 pm; Thursday 10 am- 5 pm; Friday 10 am - 9 pm; Saturday 10 am - 4 pm.
We shut in line with the Preston Temple maintenance schedule and over Christmas and New Year.
- 1 Calendar and Events
- 2 Centre Resources
- 3 Centre Services
- 4 Staff Research Specialties
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 (Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
- 8 Volunteer at the Centre
- 9 (Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
Calendar and Events
Chorley Stake"Meet Your Ancestors": Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 28-30 September 2011 5pm -9 pm and Saturday 1 October 2011 10 am - 4 pm.
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: Films and fiche are now ordered online by patrons for viewing at Family History Centres. If you wish to view a film at the Preston England Family History Centre please ensure you state "Preston" when ordering your film.
- There is a selection of books and publications for loan/perusal. There is also a cabinet of miscellaneus fiche including the 1881 Scottish Census and the Scottish Old Parish Records.
FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the Centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment: The Family History Centre has 10 computers, 5 film readers and 5 fiche readers. It is best to ring in advance to book a session.
We are happy to take Group bookings from any organisations wishing to organise a research or indexing event. We can cater for children, youth and adults.
Staff Research Specialties
We have a few Scottish members of staff who are experienced in Scottish research.
Most of our staff are experienced Indexers.
Resources in the Local Area
Nearby in Chorley is the Chorley Branch of the Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society, located at Astley Hall.
In Preston there is the Lancashire Records Office at Bow Lane.