Preston St Wilfrid, Lancashire Genealogy
St Wilfrid Preston (see Preston St John) was the original parish church, from about the year 1094 A.D. However, the church came into disrepair and was demolished for another sometime in the 16th Century. In 1581, the name was changed to St John the Baptist, and then again it was changed to St John the Evangelist in 1770. There was also a Roman Catholic parish built by 1793 by this same name which lay within the civil parish boundaries of Preston. It was one of at least four or more Catholic churches built in Preston over a 75 year period.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306887.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..