Prince Edward County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
- Main article: Prince Edward County, Virginia
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Prince Edward County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 100 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Prince Edward County families include:
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes a great deal of information about residents of Amelia County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL Collection CD-ROM no. 3887; purchase at Virginians.com.
- [Armistead] Gardner, Nancy E.P. and Malcolm Gardner. "The Armisteads of Cumberland County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 12, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1968):51-62; Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):119-126; Vol. 12, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1968):155-161; Vol. 13, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1969):11-18; Vol. 13, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1969):56-60; Vol. 13, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1969):111-115; Vol. 13, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1969):163-168. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Averitt] Averitt, Will F. History of the First Three Hundred Years of the Averitt Family in America. Greenwood, Ind.: W.F. Averitt, c1959. FHL Collection.
- [Baker] Johnson, Katherine Baker. The Forebears and Descendants of Caleb Baker of Prince Edward County, Virginia. Typescript, 1940. FHL Collection 858670 Item 9
- [Bennett] White, Dayle Duncan. "Bennett," 1653-4 American Colonists, 1851 Utah Pioneers, 1510-1978. Salt Lake City, Utah: D.D. White, 1980s. FHL Film 1320843 Item 2.
- [Berry] Ward, Roger G. A Rich Heritage: The Porr Family of Henrico County, Virginia and the Moss Family of Buckingham County, Virginia Allied Families in Richmond and Henrico County Include Hertzberger, Rahm, Collins, Crittenden, Jordan, Stubbs, Hudson, Williams, Cocke and Huddlesy: Allied Families in Buckingham County Include Meador, Wilkinson, Whitlow, Sharpe, Pendleton, and the Berry, Mann, and Thomas Families of Prince Edward County. Chandler, Ariz.: R.G. Ward, 1991. FHL Collection 1697602 Item 3
- [Campbell] Campbell, C.W. Descendants of Robert Campbell. Vandalia, Mo.: C.W. Campbell, 1894. FHL Film 1787180 Item 13.
- [Campbell] Ingels, Melvin Lloyd. The Campbell Family. Birmingham, Ala.: M.L. Ingels, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 C152i.
- [Cody] Wright, William Howard. A History of Our Irish American Cody Family. Tupelo, Miss.: H. Wright, c1993. FHL Book 929.273 C649wwh.
- [Cody] Kirsten, Edward B. The Cody Family from Prince Edward Co., VA to Titus Co., TX, 1730-2004. Bountiful, Utah: Family History Publishers, 2004. FHL Collection 929.273 C648k
- [Crockett] Smith, Elizabeth. "The Family of Alexander Crockett," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 3, No. 13 (Feb. 1980):18-20. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 3 (1980).
- [deGraffenried] de Graffenried, Thomas Pritchett. History of the deGraffenried Family from 1191 A.D. to 1925. Binghampton, N.Y.: Vail-Ballou Press, 1925. FHL Book 929.273 G758g.
- [Dickerson] Knisely, Mary Jane. "The Myth of Henry Dickenson, Emigrant," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 18, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1974):243-250. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 18 (1974).
- [Downey] Mattson, Catherine Downey. My Downey Family: and Related Families: Aston, Evans, Galloway, Binney, Lewellen, Strait. Sedona, Ariz.: C.D. Mattson, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 D759mt.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 1 Includes Prince Edward County Duncans.
- [Elliott] Marshall, Thomas E. Robert Elliott, -ca. 1786, of Prince Edward County, Virginia. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1990. FHL Collection 929.273 A1 no. 531
- [Goode] Goode, LaVaughn E. Goode and Allied Families, ca. 1787-1978. MSS. Microfilmed 1978: FHL Film 1034025 Item 12.
- [Harris] Harris, Malcolm Hart. Captain Thomas Harris, 1586 to 1658, English Immigrant in 1611. 1966. FHL Film 1027881 Item 7.
- [Harris] Wiggins, Kathryn. The Harris Papers: A Genealogical Notebook. 34 vols. Camarillo, Calif.: K. Wiggins, 1970-1971. FHL Film 1318195 Item 1 [Vol. 23 includes Prince Edward County]
- [Harris] MacRae, Eleanor Harris. The Harris Family of Prince Edward County, Virginia. Virginia Beach, Va.: Family Values Publications, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 H24m
- [Harris] Taylor, William R. "Evidence of the Descent of William Harris of Goochland Co., Va., and his Father William Harris of Henrico, New Kent, Hanover, and Louisa cos., Va., from Maj. William Harris, son of Capt. Thomas Harris of Jamestown," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 22, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1978):261-270. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Haynes] Strieby, Irene Macy, Frances Wales Haycock, and Mildred Hensley Homann. Brief Sketches of Henry Haynes, 1701-1784, William Haynes, 1727-1896, Richard Haynes, 1763-1850 a Father, Son and Grandson of Southside Virginia, Who Gave Aid to the American Colonies in the War of the Revolution, and Some of Their Descendants. Jacksonville, Fla.: n.p., 1964. FHL Book 929.273 H333s.
- [Haynes] Boddie, Mrs. John Bennett. Historical Southern Families. Volume XVIII. Baltimore, Md., 1973. FHL Book 975 D2b v. 18.
- [Jennings] Jennings, Thomas Ernest and Sarah Hattie Hazel Delgado. Jennings, the Descendants and Ancestors of Robert B. Jennings, Senior, and His Wife, Tabitha (Lockhart) Jennings Robert B. Jennings, Senior, Born 1763, Prince Edward County, Virginia, Died After 16 November 1815, Will Probated March 1816, Edgefield, District, South Carolina: Tabitha (Lockhart) Jennings, Born 31 July 1778, Lincoln County, Georgia, Died 8 July 1847, Chickasaw Co., Miss. Arlington, Texas: T.E. Jennings, 1988. FHL Collection 929.273 J447d
- [McLard] Peters, James Robert. McClard/McLard/McLaird and Related Families, 1767-1996. 2 parts. [DeSoto, Mo.]: J.R. Peters, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 M132p.
- [Mann] Ward, Roger G. A Rich Heritage: The Porr Family of Henrico County, Virginia and the Moss Family of Buckingham County, Virginia Allied Families in Richmond and Henrico County Include Hertzberger, Rahm, Collins, Crittenden, Jordan, Stubbs, Hudson, Williams, Cocke and Huddlesy: Allied Families in Buckingham County Include Meador, Wilkinson, Whitlow, Sharpe, Pendleton, and the Berry, Mann, and Thomas Families of Prince Edward County. Chandler, Ariz.: R.G. Ward, 1991. FHL Collection 1697602 Item 3
- [Marcum] Marcum, William H. and Fonda Gilbert Waters Marcum. The Way it was with Our Ancestors, Markham / Marcum - Cobia - Waters - Gilbert: Allied Families, Butler - Davis - Gorman - Hutchison - Kendrick - Roberts - Richebourg - Webster. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Edwards Brothers, c1983. FHL Book 929.273 M341m.
- [Morton] Pollock, Michael E. The Mortons of Southside Virginia: A Study of the Ancestry of Dorothea Mary Leta Morton Albritton and Other Mortons in Charlotte, Prince Edward and Other Counties. 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 M846pm
- [Osborne] Harrell, Elizabeth Jean. The Osbornes and Related Families; Jones, Worsham, Fowlkes, Robertson and Gayle. Los Altos, Calif.: B. Harrell, c1983. FHL Book 929.273 Os1h.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Prince Edward County appears in Vol. 2 Part 4]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Prince Edward County appears in Vol. 2]
- [Patteson] Smith, Ethel Marion. An Informal History of Virginia-Kentucky Pattesons in Illinois, Their Forbears and Their Kin Including the Lewises of Llangollen. Washington, 1948. Available at FHL.
- [Peake] Avant, David A. Florida Pioneers and Their Alabama, Georgia, Carolina, Maryland and Virginia Ancestors. Tallahassee, Fla.: L'Avant Studios, 1974. FHL Book 929.273 Av34a.
- [Redding] Dewees, Mary Adelaide Redding. Record of the Descendants of George Redding and Elizabeth Holdcombe Redding. Oak Hill, Fla.: M.A.R. Dewees, 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 R248d
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Abstracts of Early Virginia Rose Estates: Wills, Inventories, Accounts and Administrator's Bonds before 1850. San Jose, Calif.: Rose Family Bulletin, 1972. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 A1 no. 56; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Steele] Steele, Carl Edmond. Steele: A Gathering of the Clan. Tulsa, Okla.: C.E. Steele, 1981. FHL Film 1033844 Item 1. 1983 supplement: FHL Book 929.273 St32sc supp..
- [Thaxton] Thaxton, Robert E. and Jeraldine J. Thaxton. The Thaxton Family Thru the Years, 1731-1991. Northville, Mich.: J.J. Thaxton, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 T334t.
- [Thomas] Ward, Roger G. A Rich Heritage: The Porr Family of Henrico County, Virginia and the Moss Family of Buckingham County, Virginia Allied Families in Richmond and Henrico County Include Hertzberger, Rahm, Collins, Crittenden, Jordan, Stubbs, Hudson, Williams, Cocke and Huddlesy: Allied Families in Buckingham County Include Meador, Wilkinson, Whitlow, Sharpe, Pendleton, and the Berry, Mann, and Thomas Families of Prince Edward County. Chandler, Ariz.: R.G. Ward, 1991. FHL Collection 1697602 Item 3
- [Thurman] Martin, Patricia Thurman. Thurman - Sumner Ancestors. Buchanan, Va.: P.T. martin, [1994?]. FHL Book 929.273 T425mp.
- [Van Amburgh] LaFehr, Arlys Jane Reitz. The Van Amburgh Family from Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and Southwestern Illinois and Related Families: Allen, Arnold, Blake, Cannon, Clodfelter, Coleman, Cummins, Dillon, Dobbins, Eaton, Edwards, Evans, Elliott, Faubion, Hall, Hastings, Izzard, Keethler, Kendrick, LaFehr, Maxey, McBride, McClain, McMillan, Miks, Moe, Pickens, Prohaska, Radford, Rasmussen, Scivally, Smith, ... [Golden, Colo.]: A.J.R. LaFehr, c1990, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 V266L.
- [Venable] Venable, Elizabeth Marshall. Venables of Virginia: An Account of the Ancestors and Descendants of Samuel Woodson Venable of Springfield, and of His Brother William Lewis Venable of Haymarket, Both of Prince Edward County, Virginia. New York, New York: J.J. Little and Ives, 1925. FHL Collection 929.273 V55v; digital versions at Ancestry ($);Family History Archives; and World Vital Records ($).
- [Walton] Gottschalk, Kathrine Cox. The Walton Family of Virginia: Abstracts from County Court Houses in Virginia. Typescript, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. Genealogical Notes [Collection] Box 16, Walt. FHL 29889 Item 2
- [Walton] Walton, Robert. Genealogical Chart of the Walton Family. MSS. Copy: FHL Film 288191.
- [Watkins] Watkins, Francis N. A Catalogue of the Descendants of Thomas Watkins of Chickahomony, Virginia Who was the Common Ancestor of Many of the Families of the Name in Prince Edward, Charlotte and Chesterfield Counties, Virginia. Virginia: F.N. Watkins, 1852. FHL Collection 1036817 Item 14; digital version at Internet Archive.
- [Watkins] Watkins, Marie Oliver and Helen Hamacher Watkins. "Tearin' through the Wilderness": Missouri Pioneer Episodes, 1822-1885, and Genealogy of the Watkins Family of Virginia and Missouri. Charleston, W. Va.: Mathews Ptg. & Litho. Co., c1957. FHL Book 929.273 W323wm.
- [Watkins] Watkins, Raymond W. Watkins and Related Families, 1730-1974. MSS. Microfilmed 1975: FHL Film 973007 Item 19.
- [Watkins] Abner Watkins Records. Typescript. Microfilmed 1976: FHL Film 928120 Item 6.
- [Watkins] Watkins, Raymond W. The Abner Watkins Family of Prince Edward and Cumberland Counties, Virginia. MSS. Microfilmed 1978. FHL Collection
- [Watkins] Bhuta, Mary Watkins. Genealogy of the Watkins Family of Virginia and Missouri from 1957 to 1994: An Update to "Tearin' through the Wilderness" by Marie Oliver Watkins and Helen Hamacher Watkins. Los Osos, Calif.: M.W. Bhuta, c1994. FHL Book 929.273 W323wm supp..
- [Wilmoth] Wilmeth, James Lillard. Wilmot--Wilmoth--Wilmeth. Philadelphia, Pa.: J.L. Wilmeth, 1940. FHL Film 1020779 Item 15.
- [Wood] Wood, John A. Woods and Others in Bath County, Va. and Elsewhere. Cambridge, Mass.: J.A. Wood, c1996. FHL Book 929.273 W85wja.
- [Worsham] Hayes, Linus P. "Worsham, Jones, Mayo and Scott Families," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 2, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1958):177-178. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Identifying the Wrights in the Goochland County, Virginia Tithe Lists. Menlo Park, Calif.: R.N. Grant, 1993. FHL Fiche 6126316 (2 fiche).
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Records, Prince Edward County, Virginia Birth Records, Marriage Records, Election Polls and Tithe Lists, Personal Property Tax Lists, Census Records. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2006. FHL Collection 929.273 W93gpe
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Records, Prince Edward County, Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2006. FHL Collection 929.273 W93gpv
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Sorting Some of the Wrights of Southern Virginia Part VI, 1779 John Wright of Prince Edward County, His Wife Anne (Pryor) Wright, and Their Descendants. 4 vols. Menlo Park, Calif.: R.N. Grant, 2006. FHL Collection 929.273 W93grj v. 1