Prince Frederick Parish, South Carolina
Prince Frederick's once took up a large area of South Carolina, but by 1790 this parish (as well as Prince George's to the east) took up all or parts of six present-day South Carolina counties: Williamsburg, Florence, Marion, Dillon, Horry and Georgetown. Also known as Old Prince Frederick Winea.
In addition to religious roles, South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders All Saints, Prince George, St. David's, St. James Santee, St. Mark's, and St. Stephen's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
- Altman, Eunice and Flora B. Surles. Georgetown County, Epitaphs of Prince Frederick's Parish, Pee Dee, 1749-1896 W.P.A. Project 2004. Typescript, South Caroliniana Library, 1937. FHL Film 22726 Item 20
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 10, Prince Frederick's Parish, pages 319-321, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
The original parish registers are kept at [blank], South Carolina. Abstracts of baptisms from 1713 to 1794 and marriages from 1726 to 1752 have been published:
- Prince Frederick Parish and Prince George Parish. The Register Book for the Parish Prince Frederick Winyaw, Ann: Dom: 1713. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1916. FHL Film 547227 Item 7; digital version at Internet Archive.
Marriage register are also abstracted in:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and Thomas L. Hollowak. South Carolina Marriages, 1688-1799. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1980. FHL Book 975.7 V2hsc v. 1
A partial 1756 tax return for Prince Frederick Parish survives. It is kept in the Maps and Muniments section of the South Carolina Historical Society, and, according to Morgan, describes "69 taxpayers, 702 slaves, and 44,129 acres of land."
Some tax return from the 1780s survive and have been published:
-  "1784 Tax Returns," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 3, No. 4 (Fall 1975):201-206. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 3
-  "1786 Tax Returns," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 11, No. 1 (Winter 1983):33-39. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 11
- Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick's Parish Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 11 May 2011).
- Albert Sidney Thomas, A Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina, 1820- 1957 (1957); William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920. (Baltimore: Geneal. Pub., c1987).
- "Georgetown County Cemeteries," SCGenWeb, accessed 10 March 2011.
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- Philip D. Morgan, "A Profile of a Mid-Eighteenth Century South Carolina Parish: The Tax Return of Saint James', Goose Creek," The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 81, No. 1 (Jan. 1980):52-53. Digital version at JSTOR ($).