Prince George Parish, South Carolina
This parish is also know as Prince George Winyah Parish.Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (also called the Anglican Church, and later the Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were also used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
Prince George Parish, Winyah was created in 1721 from the northwest part of St. James Santee Parish, a part of Craven County. The original church was near Brown's Ferry on the Black River (Dunbar), Georgetown, SC. In 1734 that building was given to the new Prince Frederick Parish and a new church was for Prince George Parish constructed in Georgetown, Georgetown, SC.
Areas Served: Prince George Parish served:
- "Inscriptions from the Churchyard of Prince George Winyah Georgetown, South Carolina," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 31, No. 3 (Jul., 1930), pp. 184-208; digital version at JSTOR ($); Vol. 31, No. 4 (Oct., 1930), pp. 292-313; digital version at JSTOR ($).
Hundreds of the cemetery's old graves are described at Find A Grave. Includes transcripts and select photographs.
Hundreds of the cemetery's graves are also described at SCGenWeb.
In a book review, Heritage Passed On was described as "of special interest to genealogists and church historians studying the Georgetown area," see:
- Lumpkin, Sarah Parker. Heritage Passed On: History of Prince George, Winyah Parish. 1992.
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 10, Prince George's Parish, Winyaw, pages 303-318, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
Marriages from the parish register have been abstracted in:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and Thomas L. Hollowak. South Carolina Marriages, 1800-1820. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1981. FHL Book 975.7 V2hsc v. 2
- Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church (official site)
- Prince George Winyah Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick's Parish Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 7 May 2011).