Prince William Parish, South Carolina
Prince William's Parish served Beaufort County, South Carolina. It was also known as Old Sheldon Church. It was burned in the Revolutionary War and then again in the Civil War.
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Prince George and Prince Frederick parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: Prince William County, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- Bowers, Gloria Cook Jones. Southern Cousins: Cook, Fennell, and Related Families of Prince William's Parish, South Carolina. Varnville, S.C.: G. Bowers, 1991. FHL Collection 929.273 C771bg
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 23, Prince William's Parish, pages 382-384, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Todd, John Reynard and Francis Marion Huston. Prince William's Parish and Plantations. Richmond, Va.: Garrett & Massie, 1935. FHL Book 975.79 H2t
- Sheldon Church, Prince Williams Parish, Beaufort, South Carolina Births or Christenings 1825-1873. FHL Collection 975.7 B2s v. 56-57; Index: FHL Collection 821 Item 15; also indexed in the IGI
- Sheldon Church, Prince Williams Parish, Beaufort, South Carolina Marriages 1826-1876. FHL Collection 975.7 B2s v. 57; Index: FHL Collection 1002591 Item 12; also indexed in the IGI
- "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.