Pulford, Cheshire Genealogy
In 1848 - PULFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with Poulton township, it is 5¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Chester. The parish is situated on the road from Chester to Wrexham, and bounded by the Pulford brook, which separates this part of the county from Denbighshire. Here is a station of the Chester and Ruabon railway.
Pulford St Mary the Virgin is an Ancient Parish and includes Poulton and Cuckoo's Nest.
Pulford is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is situated on the B5445 road, to the south west of Chester and on the border with Wales. It is believed that the name of the village is derived from the Welsh words "Pwll" (pool) and "Ffordd" (road). However, the current Welsh name for the village is Porffordd.
A church on the site can be traced back to the 12th century and the first Rector is mentioned in ancient records as Hugo.
The present church was built on the site of an earlier church between 1881 and 1884. The architect was John Douglas and its expense was met partly by the first Duke of Westminster. In the 1990s the spire was destroyed by fire and has been rebuilt
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Here is a list of the districts that have included Pulford since 1837, with dates of inclusion:
- Great Boughton (1837–69)
- Chester (1870–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester and Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire West (post 1998)
Registration events can be searched on-line at Cheshire BMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Pulford, St. Mary the Virgin (C of E) was the ancient parish church for the townships of Poulton (near Chester) and Pulford.
The following records are deposited at the Cheshire Record Office:
- Registers of baptisms 1559–1884, marriages 1559–1836 and burials 1574–1956, CRO call number: P101/1/1-4, 2, 3/1-2, 4-5.
- Bishop's transcripts, 1599-1910, CRO number: EDB/173.
The following records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Center in Salt Lake City:
|Parish registers content||FHL Film|
|Marriages: 1559-1836. Baptisms, burials: 1559-1884. 1905. Banns of marriages: 1876-1972. Burials: 1885-1956.||2093667 Items 1-9|
|Bishop's transcripts content||FHL Film|
| Baptisms, marriages, burials: 1599-1840 (with gaps)
Burials: 1841, 1843-1844, 1846-1847, 1849-1856, 1859-1864. Baptisms: 1841-1844, 1846-1856, 1859-1870. Marriages: 1842.
|1751558 Item 2|
| Baptisms: 1870-1887, 1890-1898, 1905, 1907, 1909-1910.
Burials: 1864-1889, 1891-1898, 1905, 1907, 1909-1910.
|1751559 Item 1|
There were no known nonconformist groups in Pulford. Search neighbouring parishes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241232.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837–53) Tarvin (previously Great Boughton) Poor Law Union, Cheshire
- Hawarden Poor Law Union(1853–71)
- Chester Poor Law Union (1871–1930)
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place. Here are good sources for maps on-line:
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, p. 317, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, p. 169, ISBN 0 907768 18 0
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), adapted 25 Jan 2013