Queensland, Australia Genealogy
Convict transportation ended in 1839 and free settlement permitted in 1842.
In 1859 Queensland was separated from New South Wales to form a self-governing British colony. On federation in 1901, Queensland became one of the six states of the Commonwealth of Australia.
The capital of Queensland is Brisbane.
Getting started with Queensland research
Records before 1859 properly form part of series held by relevant authorities in New South Wales where they may be indexed under the term "Moreton Bay District". Queensland has made copies of many of these family history records and these may be searched along with post 1859 records.
- Identify What You Know
- Decide What You Want to Learn
- Select Records to Search
- Obtain and Search the Records
- Use the Information
What is now the State of Queenslandwas formed on 1 January 1901 when the six British colonies federated to form the Commonwealth of Australia.
Before that, it had been the Colony of Queensland established on 6 June 1859 with responsible self-government. Prior to that, the territory had been part of the Colony of New South Wales.
A wiki article describing an onlne collections is found at:
- National Family History Week July 31st to August 8th 2010
Interested in editing or adding to the Wiki? The Queensland page needs you! Here are some simple ways you can add information other researchers need!
- Add useful topics and links for other researchers
- Provide interesting historical notes and information
- Choose an inhabited island off the coast, add links and information about it's people and history
- Choose a region that you love and share what you know about it and it's resources.
- Choose an island and embellish the information
| Bounty Immigrants 1828-1842 Index at Record Search soon |
See and download the Family History Library "Favorites" links, here.