Quernmore, Lancashire Genealogy
Quernmore was created a district chapel in 1836 from, and lying within the boundary of Lancaster St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
The village consists of a small number of residential properties, mostly farm houses, nestling in the bottom of the small valley of the River Conder. The Methodist chapel lies at the heart of the community but is smaller than St Peter's, the Church of England church which lies isolated next to Quernmore Primary School.
There used to be one public house whose address is still the Temperance Hotel. The name used to be the Dog and Partridge (this name can still be seen on the electrical substation, 100m to the south). It became the Temperance Hotel after the construction of the Thirlmere Aqueduct, completed 1894, as a consequence of the rowdiness of the navvies working on the aqueduct. The public house closed in 1900. The premises became the post office and village store until closure in 2008.
The largest residential property is Quernmore Park, built in 1793 by the architect Thomas Harrison.
The valley has an ancient history. In 1970 a Roman pottery kiln was unearthed near the Friends Meeting House, and other kilns have been discovered in the local vicinity. In former times, the slopes of Clougha Pike which forms the eastern wall of the valley, were mined for millstone grit to form quern stones. There was some small scale coal mining and charcoal production. The valley also has two surviving watermills, one on the slopes towards Littledale and one at Conder Bottom whose mill pond now is used as a fishery. Quernmore was at one stage a Royal Forest.
Quernmore lies within the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, although historically it maintained its own separate identity and even in medieval times, never came under the sway of the powerful Lordship of Bowland.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"QUERNMOOR, a township made a district with a chapel, in the parish of Lancaster. The chapel was erected in 1833, and dedicated to St. Peter."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306936.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 623-627.&nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.